Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 117 Posts

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
forgetting about the strip for a second because straight line egos on this forums is giving me the shits at the moment. Any gongbanger should be able to stretch their heels, grab gears and hold a steering wheel straight for 400m. Some on this forums want to do it quicker than others to prove that either their reflexes are better or their car has more horses. Big Friggin Deal!. I would best enjoy punting some corners with a closely matched ratios in a car. One of my favourties is an ST 170 because it had an excellent blend of gearshift feel, handling was poised and rewarded a great drive. (Message to TEAM KIWI) Do you enjoy a brisk country drive or can't you steer a greasy stick up a sheeps arse, my friend from over the Tasman.

·
BSR Driver #3 - Team ADD
501 Posts
gadgetman said:
forgetting about the strip for a second because straight line egos on this forums is giving me the shits at the moment. Any gongbanger should be able to stretch their heels, grab gears and hold a steering wheel straight for 400m. Some on this forums want to do it quicker than others to prove that either their reflexes are better or their car has more horses. Big Friggin Deal!. I would best enjoy punting some corners with a closely matched ratios in a car. One of my favourties is an ST 170 because it had an excellent blend of gearshift feel, handling was poised and rewarded a great drive. (Message to TEAM KIWI) Do you enjoy a brisk country drive or can't you steer a greasy stick up a sheeps arse, my friend from over the Tasman.
Yes i love the race track, i enjoy many gokart days with trophies to match. and have also punted round calder and attended advanced and high performance courses. i love punting round country roads, hills and hill climb events! i ran a 71 ran calder park racetrack in my catback exhaust no tune Barge. im doing the straight line thing for a reason not for ego trips or to be quicker than some. track life is my passion.

Simon

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
Enough now boy's, your spoiling my excitement.

All I can say about the new 6 speed is DAMN, DAMN, DAMN! I was planning to get the SSS auto next. Better think again...and again...

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
great to hear.. Sounds like the new boxes are going to bring out the best in the BOSS. The XR8 was never a slouch when in good hands as has been proven by fellas here on the forums, just seems like the average drivers out there (like mag journos) will get good numbers now too... they may now finally help to improve the image of the XR8 that they have tarnished.

top stuff ford..!

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
TeamKiwi said:
Yes i love the race track, i enjoy many gokart days with trophies to match.Simon
You're lucky you didnt lose that one mate, at the LS1 Go Kart night you drew position 1, i drew position 5, was stuck back in the pack before i finally got past and had to make up 20-30m on you, when you blocked me off at every opportunity to stop me passing...but was a good race we need a round 2 lol :angel:

As gadgetman said the ratio's are very evenly spaced, it's been a while since i drove a stock XR8 but the 6-speed does feel a lot better due to the gears in the box and the diff. The shift quality seems good, went straight in every time and very easy to get off the line, nowhere near as much lag below 3000rpm as per current BA. One thing I didnt get a chance to do was have a gander under the lid to se if there were any changes to the airbox setup or whatever, the whole package felt very smooth

FM....isnt it bout bloody time you got ya arse back in an XR8 :wnc:

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
JEM said:
great to hear.. Sounds like the new boxes are going to bring out the best in the BOSS. The XR8 was never a slouch when in good hands as has been proven by fellas here on the forums, just seems like the average drivers out there (like mag journos) will get good numbers now too... they may now finally help to improve the image of the XR8 that they have tarnished.

top stuff ford..!
Yes i agree completely. After some deliberation with another chap who drove the 6 speed (once again, longer than what i did), we agree that the Boss feels like it has now spent a little extra time at the GYM!

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
gadgetman said:
Yes i agree completely. After some deliberation with another chap who drove the 6 speed (once again, longer than what i did), we agree that the Boss feels like it has now spent a little extra time at the GYM!
That other chap, he's a great steerer isnt he, a good all-round bloke :angel:

·
74 XB Fairmont
5,113 Posts
As much as it's nice to have a manual box. My dads already rebuilding the T-56. Quite a few people are breaking them already. Which can only mean a few things. the box's aren't very strong in stock form or the owners of the boxes have no mechanical sympathy. :hehe:

My brother inlaw and his mates all own 260 or 290kw manual BA's. His personally prefers the BA compared to his VY SS. He says the VY was faster but not as nice to drive as the BA. In regards to me. Hell, I'd take any of his new cars. He is the only person I know that had a new VY SS for 6mths and traded it in for the newer BA. Damn quick to turnover cars!

I tend to agree with his thoughts also. If I had the $ for new car a manual BA V8 it'd be. I just wouldn't be treating the box too hard.

Brenden

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
XRFPV8 said:
there is only one way to play the game, no ifs no butts its the 1st to the finish post then you get your winning ticket..cry or smile...
The only 2 poeple i seen launch a manual with 1.9# 60 foot time on the street tyres they use on the street every day of the week, means no changing at the race track are xacoupe and ritchie (clubvx) there Guru's..real street trim...
What about me?? I did a 1.9 on my street tyres in a manual.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
Rodderz said:
FM....isnt it bout bloody time you got ya arse back in an XR8 :wnc:
Your good all round chap had a chance on Friday to squeeze me into one again.. Shame the wife got in the way! :rofl:

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
gadgetman said:
Gday sparkie. Long time mate. The new six speed doesnt feel as notchy as the 3650 and it doesnt feel as loose as a goose (commodore version) The gearbox has a very direct shift feel espcially when downchaging from 5th to 3rd. You will really enjoy it. I am not hyping this thing up for the sake of it. It is the only significant upgrade in BA MK2 and it is a beauty. Economy?? Couldnt tell cause the car only had 3000km or so on the clock and they are generally very tight and rich at that stage. I would expect it to drop perhaps half a litre as opposed to a series 1. Either way, Ford are on to a winner. Hopefully SOON, there will be a 6 speed auto to add to the fleet or am i just dreaming!!
I'd like to believe that the economy would be better aswell but I'm not so sure about it now that the final drive ratio is 3.46 and then the other 6th gear ratio, which we don't know what it is but with it sitting on 1900 odd rpm at 100klm it's not much different than before.

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
gadgetman said:
The powers that be only gave me the keys for an hour FM, having said that, one of the members is such a hog of a motor car, i only got to drive it for 5 minutes!!!

Cheers pal
Piss weak excuse! 1 hour gets you to my place and me to heaven! :shag:

gadgetman said:
I too many shifty's with wifey can be rather disasterous FM!
Nahh.. I can run faster than her... :running:

·
The SparkleHunter™
10,144 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
Maybe he is !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! it say's in his sig back in a B.A., come on FM what are you now driving?.
Only an XT mate.. Budgets are a bitch.. :eek:hman:

·
Rip Up The Track Join OFR
6,021 Posts
sbutler said:
What about me?? I did a 1.9 on my street tyres in a manual.
Sorry Mr.Butler yes you did and it was your 1st time at a Quarter Mile track, and what made yours so good it was not having to do 100+ pass's to do it......:hy:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
:toocool: Go Gadget Go :driver:

·
The SB Slayer
1,542 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
I'd like to believe that the economy would be better aswell but I'm not so sure about it now that the final drive ratio is 3.46 and then the other 6th gear ratio, which we don't know what it is but with it sitting on 1900 odd rpm at 100klm it's not much different than before.
You would think the economy will be much better but i'm a little dissapointed that the weight will be the same not if heavier in this update.
Cheers Alex.

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Rodderz said:
Damn straight piss weak..try 2 mins away!

Appliance white XT wagon chucky?
Chucky is back in a BA courtesy of me. And trust me it is shitloads better to drive than that shitbox wagon!!

41 - 60 of 117 Posts
About this Discussion
116 Replies
30 Participants
Hypnodoc
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing