Ford Forums banner

61 - 80 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
My T3 and mt GT TREMEC makes the holden 6 speeder feel like atea spoon in a bowl of soup cmon. It was and always will be a slushy pos. Unles FOrd have done some serious work to it i wouldnt be trading in my GT for a serious 2.

And On this occation Butlers actualy right, I think the whole six speed thing is a "My dicks bigger then yours" that the holden guys have used as one of there little points to say But OURS has a six speed.... The GT didnt need it thats for sure

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
GTP-330 said:
My T3 and mt GT TREMEC makes the holden 6 speeder feel like atea spoon in a bowl of soup cmon. It was and always will be a slushy pos. Unles FOrd have done some serious work to it i wouldnt be trading in my GT for a serious 2.

The Holden t-56 is super slushy. The Ford T-56 is fantastic and i am sure you will agree when you drive it.

And On this occation Butlers actualy right, I think the whole six speed thing is a "My dicks bigger then yours" that the holden guys have used as one of there little points to say But OURS has a six speed.... The GT didnt need it thats for sure
It isnt a big dick thing at all. Second to third detracts from the perfomance of the boss in the 3650. Running a shorter final drive in a series 1 is better but not the soloution as it makes 1st gear in the 3650 shorter and it shouldnt be any shorter than what it already is. You will prefer the t56 in the boss, if you could afford the changeover, you will get a series 2. But thats just my 2 bobs worth after having driven one. You will just have to wait another month and a half to agree.

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
And please DO NOT COMPARE the t56 out of a commodore to the one in mk2. It is just chalk and cheese. The holden being the latter of course.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
gadgetman said:
It isnt a big dick thing at all. Second to third detracts from the perfomance of the boss in the 3650. Running a shorter final drive in a series 1 is better but not the soloution as it makes 1st gear in the 3650 shorter and it shouldnt be any shorter than what it already is. You will prefer the t56 in the boss, if you could afford the changeover, you will get a series 2. But thats just my 2 bobs worth after having driven one. You will just have to wait another month and a half to agree.
Ive only had my seriers one for 4 months so ill be waiting for series III.

Im just lo9ve the boxes that the T3 had and the GT has

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
CDAA said:
Was there any visual changes to the Mk2-XR8 over the series 1? (besides the badge)
Visual change? None at all. The XR8 gets 18"s standard which are of course the same 18's as BA, It also gets auto headlamps on/off. Guaranteed illuminated electric window switches, alloy pedals (ala GT but without FPV logo). And that is all she wrote...

·
Registered
780 Posts
GTP-330 said:

I heard a rumour that Mal Woods has been involved in the development of this one, it has stronger double synchros etc, so it isn't the same sloppy thing that Holden and HSV have been using. SIX IS A HIGHER NUMBER THAN 5 Simon :wnc:

·
FF Moderator
2,202 Posts
gadgetman said:
Visual change? None at all. The XR8 gets 18"s standard which are of course the same 18's as BA, It also gets auto headlamps on/off. Guaranteed illuminated electric window switches, alloy pedals (ala GT but without FPV logo). And that is all she wrote...
Thanks for that. So at least mine will look the same then..lol. Its already got the 18" and illuminated electric window switches. I wan't sure if there was a new 18" wheel design. I also heard rumours of a slight front bar change so I was just wondering.

I must admit I would have thought they would tidy up that gapping hole in the front bar with some mesh/grille. Never mind. :angel:

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
CDAA said:
I must admit I would have thought they would tidy up that gapping hole in the front bar with some mesh/grille. Never mind. :angel:
Yes you would of thought this would of been a good finishing touch to Mkll, there are a fair few on the road with the lower grills in XR's

As gadgetman said the T56 BA version feels nothing like the T56 in the commodores, they may be the same box but dont share the same ratio's, plus they get a shorter diff gear than BA1. I found the 6 speed great to drive, it was easier to get off the line and the 2nd-3rd shift was a lot better than the BA has in the 3650, the 6 speeder also has twin synchro's in all foreward gears for easy changing. It will be interesting between the turbo and the XR8, as while both will have the T56 in manuals, both will have their own gearsets

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
Rodderz said:
Eamon when you get your apprenticeship (or have you finished?) you should apply for a proving ground gig for Ford, you will be able to drive all new cars before we even know about it!
Hey mate don't have my apprenticeship now still got a year and a half but that's the plan I'd love to get out toe the proving ground I know a few people at The TQE plant so I just gotta get my foot in the dor when my times done.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Rodderz said:
Yes you would of thought this would of been a good finishing touch to Mkll, there are a fair few on the road with the lower grills in XR's

As gadgetman said the T56 BA version feels nothing like the T56 in the commodores, they may be the same box but dont share the same ratio's, plus they get a shorter diff gear than BA1. I found the 6 speed great to drive, it was easier to get off the line and the 2nd-3rd shift was a lot better than the BA has in the 3650, the 6 speeder also has twin synchro's in all foreward gears for easy changing. It will be interesting between the turbo and the XR8, as while both will have the T56 in manuals, both will have their own gearsets
Any particular reason why someone couldn't put the 3.7's out of the turbo into the arse of an xr8. Theres an extra shift in there anyway so wouldnt the 3.7's go over the line with a few extra revs and still be in the same gear.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
CDAA said:
Thanks for that. So at least mine will look the same then..lol. Its already got the 18" and illuminated electric window switches. I wan't sure if there was a new 18" wheel design. I also heard rumours of a slight front bar change so I was just wondering.

There is a change in the FPV vehicle's or so they say in this area, there is no colour coding of the front bar.but I'm not sure if this has been anounced as yet.

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
XRQTOR said:
Any particular reason why someone couldn't put the 3.7's out of the turbo into the arse of an xr8. Theres an extra shift in there anyway so wouldnt the 3.7's go over the line with a few extra revs and still be in the same gear.
Yes going to 3.7's would be a good move, the gearbox would most likely be suited to the 3:46 diff gears but going shorter would make it more snappy

I've been in a BA manual ute with 3.46 over the 3.23 and it does make it better than the stock gearing

·
Registered
371 Posts
Did the driveline feel tighter, like driveline shunt was reduced as a result of the gearbox upgrade?

l had both a Ford & FPV engineer drive my car on Monday and both told me my car was fine and well within acceptable standards (as l expected). Both reckoned getting rid of the shunt would require more than just a diff or box changeover. Neither had driven a BA2 with the 6 speed but both thought shunt would be much the same as BA1.

Curious to hear whether you thought it was better?

Cheers

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
So, the obvious question: Why didn't FPV just put the damn six speed in to start with? Honestly, always doing things the hard/long way.....

·
Movin!
2,924 Posts
mondie said:
Did the driveline feel tighter, like driveline shunt was reduced as a result of the gearbox upgrade?
Curious to hear whether you thought it was better?

Cheers
Gday Mondie

Yes it did feel better, it did only have a few 1000km on the clock but there was no hint of driveline shunt, or diff whine. The whole thing felt a lot smoother in the ride, motor and cabin noise.

Hopefully that car is an example of what can be expected of Mkll, some of the diffs people have been getting back are all over the shop in regards to tolerances of pinion/crownwheel fitment as well as the general putting together of the whole diff and axle assembly, hopefully dana and ford have worked it out

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
How strong will the new clutch be. I have noticed that a few people are needing to buy new clucthes after some bolt on's. If this is basically the same box as used in the 03/04 cobra it should have the same clutch. Havent heard of to many frying those even in the 400+rwhp cars which is basically every second cobra over there.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If the XR8/GT clutch is the same as the one fitted to the Typhoon it will be bulletproof. I saw one fitted to a Typhoon engine last week and it is a massive twin plate item that looks like it was built to handle a lot of punishment.

·
T/Control for sheilas
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
bossxr8 said:
If the XR8/GT clutch is the same as the one fitted to the Typhoon it will be bulletproof. I saw one fitted to a Typhoon engine last week and it is a massive twin plate item that looks like it was built to handle a lot of punishment.

Typhoon gets its own unique clutch.

61 - 80 of 117 Posts