Ford Forums banner

81 - 100 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
780 Posts
gadgetman said:
Typhoon gets its own unique clutch.
So anybody wanting to get some real grunt out of a Series 2 GT will have to ring Mal Woods and spend another $1500? :AAHHH:
Bastards!, I might be changing back to a vacuum cleanered 6 cyl, why build a heavy V8 with a supposed 20kWs more than the F6 then put a clutch with the equivalent grip of a manual Fiat Bambino in it, no wonder FPV can't win a touring car race or keep a driver or even come third. NOT VERY BRIGHT FORD.
Still Sandown 500 1, 2, 3 that lets them off A LITTLE BIT. Perhaps the design egineers or the accountants need a kick in the arse :bsr:
 

·
Mid-life crisis
Joined
·
327 Posts
Whats the go with the T-56 anyway?.. is it to be standard across the board for BA2? ....or is it limited to XR's, FPV??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Hypnodoc said:
So anybody wanting to get some real grunt out of a Series 2 GT will have to ring Mal Woods and spend another $1500? :AAHHH:
Perhaps the design egineers or the accountants need a kick in the arse :bsr:
Well said it doesn't really make sense that the lower powered car gets the better setup.
Could ford possibly offer this as an option on other cars (xr8, GT) if the buyer wishes to pay for it. Wonder how hard it would be to arrange a dealer to fit one even if they wont let it out as an option, i know you cant buy and GT parts without owning one. My local dealer told me that a friend of a sales rep would be happy to let me use his car details to buy Gt parts if i wished, didnt know me from a bar of soap either i was just getting a new remote after washing mine and asked a few questions.
 

·
In a blue Galaxy
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
Typhoon is sounding more and more like buy of the centruy. It seems like it's getting the best fo evertying. I would definately get the F6 over a GT now. It's not the V8 vs Turbo 6 issue anymore, the whole F6 package is just more appealing as it's alot better value. And in reality, that's dissapointing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
Indeed it is. I wasn't being stupid with the question about driveline refinement. Its time for the clubbie to go and I was looking at a series 2 Gt. Reading what you guys have had to say it would appear with out question the F6 is a better engineered car and better value to boot.

With the clubbie picking up the LS2 it is very disappointing that FPV haven't seen fit to improve its torque number in out right terms. FPV and the GT don't enjoy the same advantage the rest of the Ford range held over the Holden product. They are never going to get to the top with this sort of thinking and for a cross shopper that is disappointing.
 

·
FF Moderator
Joined
·
2,202 Posts
Allot the comments about the GT2 getting less goodies than the F6 is based on hearsay and speculation. Let’s just wait and see first before we condemn FPV to complacency.
 

·
Future XR Owner
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
well said CDAA.

Everybody is assuming there are no changes to Series 2 GT.... why? I think if Typhoon is getting the new clutch then so will the other FPV models, why wouldn't they?
 

·
Mid-life crisis
Joined
·
327 Posts
*Nods* Good call CDAA and JEM.

Sure FPV have made some mistakes with the GT but I don't think Flinty's boys are stupid. They do listen (it looks as tho there's gonna be a lot to like with the F6 frinstance) so lets wait to hear specs on GT2 before dragging it down. I think you can bet gearbox AND clutch won't be the only changes............
 

·
T/Control for sheilas
Joined
·
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
JEM said:
well said CDAA.

Everybody is assuming there are no changes to Series 2 GT.... why? I think if Typhoon is getting the new clutch then so will the other FPV models, why wouldn't they?
Well, Thats because clutches and gearboxes are built to torque outputs not power. Boss290 has 510nms, f6 has 550nms at a more continous level. It bloody well should have a stronger clutch. or dont we think that makes sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
80 Posts
JEM said:
well said CDAA.

Everybody is assuming there are no changes to Series 2 GT.... why? I think if Typhoon is getting the new clutch then so will the other FPV models, why wouldn't they?
Well it might have something to do with FPV dealers. Other than that the reason is exactly what gadgetman has said. No reason to.
 

·
Future XR Owner
Joined
·
2,245 Posts
Don't the BOSS 290 engines have 520Nm? Either way, if it's purely because the GT clutch can't handle the extra torque, then that makes sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
gadgetman said:
Well, Thats because clutches and gearboxes are built to torque outputs not power. Boss290 has 510nms, f6 has 550nms at a more continous level. It bloody well should have a stronger clutch. or dont we think that makes sense.
I doesn't make sense. If they are going to the trouble of fitting new gearboxes why don't they fit the same clutch to both. It would save on development costs, unless they can use the same clutch as the BA 1 GT.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,500 Posts
Rodderz said:
I didnt notice a big difference in clutch travel or feel but the brakes felt like more pressure had to be applied to make it stop
That would be because of the upgraded brakes they started fitting to the BA late last year to stop brake shudder. They need a good shove before they start pulling the car up. Surely they could have done something to fix this on the Mk11.
 

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
You 1/4 mile demons are forgeting one important thing, with the 3650 we have now we {T3-GT} pull 4th before the end of the 400m, so that is 3 gear changers, so with a lower diff and closer gear sets you'll be making 4 gear changers, and that adds up to slower or the same 400m times, so dont get to wound over this 6 speed thing being faster over the 400m because I doubt it will.....Thats my 2 bob worth...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,370 Posts
sbutler said:
You 1/4 mile demons are forgeting one important thing, with the 3650 we have now we {T3-GT} pull 4th before the end of the 400m, so that is 3 gear changers, so with a lower diff and closer gear sets you'll be making 4 gear changers, and that adds up to slower or the same 400m times, so dont get to wound over this 6 speed thing being faster over the 400m because I doubt it will.....Thats my 2 bob worth...
Shit Butler you keep comming out with comments like this i might actually think your not that bad after all
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,134 Posts
sbutler said:
You 1/4 mile demons are forgeting one important thing, with the 3650 we have now we {T3-GT} pull 4th before the end of the 400m, so that is 3 gear changers, so with a lower diff and closer gear sets you'll be making 4 gear changers, and that adds up to slower or the same 400m times, so dont get to wound over this 6 speed thing being faster over the 400m because I doubt it will.....Thats my 2 bob worth...
Yes, but so long as you have to be in fourth, you might as well get the most out of it, ie actually be in fourth for some time, not shift just before the line. (assuming you don't run out of legs, of course.) Closer gearsets have a taller first gear and less rev drop between gears, keeping it on song better.
 

·
Movin!
Joined
·
2,924 Posts
It would be worth trying the comparo between 5 spd and 6spd...there may be an extra change in the 6spd but as the ratio's are closer and the diff shorter, the revs can be in the sweet spot more often. I find 3rd gear in the 3650 a lot larger gap than from 1st to 2nd and closer gears would fix this alot.

All depends on how much balls the driver has to pound through the cogs as fast as possible
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,784 Posts
GTP-330 said:
Shit Butler you keep comming out with comments like this i might actually think your not that bad after all

do i detect a bit of touching going on here :bsr:

regards
rod
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,410 Posts
Rodderz said:
It would be worth trying the comparo between 5 spd and 6spd...there may be an extra change in the 6spd but as the ratio's are closer and the diff shorter, the revs can be in the sweet spot more often. I find 3rd gear in the 3650 a lot larger gap than from 1st to 2nd and closer gears would fix this alot.

All depends on how much balls the driver has to pound through the cogs as fast as possible
I thought it was more skill than balls to hit the gears hard. Has anyone broken a xr8 box yet.
 

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
Joined
·
1,934 Posts
WBT56 said:
Yes, but so long as you have to be in fourth, you might as well get the most out of it, ie actually be in fourth for some time, not shift just before the line. (assuming you don't run out of legs, of course.) Closer gearsets have a taller first gear and less rev drop between gears, keeping it on song better.
Good point, but the hole thing with this 1/4 mile thing is to stay on the gas as much as you can, not be off it by changing gears, Thats why all the pro's use auto's, so there on the gas all the time, add up the time your off it with 4 gear changers, lets say 1 second per change X 4, as opposed to X 3, so thats 4 seconds your off the thottle in a 13.5 second run, you see were im going with this don't you? If it turns out to make the GTs faster over all thats great, because they need to be, well thats my take on it anyway.....
 
81 - 100 of 117 Posts
About this Discussion
116 Replies
30 Participants
Hypnodoc
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing
Top