Ford Forums banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
sbutler said:
Good point, but the hole thing with this 1/4 mile thing is to stay on the gas as much as you can, not be off it by changing gears, Thats why all the pro's use auto's, so there on the gas all the time, add up the time your off it with 4 gear changers, lets say 1 second per change X 4, as opposed to X 3, so thats 4 seconds your off the thottle in a 13.5 second run, you see were im going with this don't you? If it turns out to make the GTs faster over all thats great, because they need to be, well thats my take on it anyway.....
According to your way off thinking then, the auto's should be 4 sec's faster down the qrt than the manual :AAHHH: :fraz: .

·
When 2 T3s are not enough
1,934 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
According to your way off thinking then, the auto's should be 4 sec's faster down the qrt than the manual :AAHHH: :fraz: .
Dont know what you mean? my way of thinking was manual only.....

·
In a blue Galaxy
5,716 Posts
sbutler surely you have heard of clutchless upshifting. Flat change, foot on gas, let say half throttle to keep the revs there, but not to overrev when changing.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
sbutler said:
Dont know what you mean? my way of thinking was manual only.....
I was just saying that you quoted that it take's 1 sec to change a gear(manual) and auto's are on the gas all the time, therefore 4x change's equall's to 4 sec + to the time.

·
Beastmaster
940 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
I was just saying that you quoted that it take's 1 sec to change a gear(manual) and auto's are on the gas all the time, therefore 4x change's equall's to 4 sec + to the time.
1 second to change gears.... think again, .4-.5 seconds and there is no torque converter slip.

·
Registered
780 Posts
flappist said:
1 second to change gears.... think again, .4-.5 seconds and there is no torque converter slip.
C'mon guys steering into a sweeper with the speedo needle floating on the speed limiter in 5th gear :AAHHH: , manual or auto thats what these babies were built for :wnc:

·
Mid-life crisis
327 Posts
sbutler said:
Good point, but the hole thing with this 1/4 mile thing is to stay on the gas as much as you can, not be off it by changing gears, Thats why all the pro's use auto's, so there on the gas all the time, add up the time your off it with 4 gear changers, lets say 1 second per change X 4, as opposed to X 3, so thats 4 seconds your off the thottle in a 13.5 second run, you see were im going with this don't you? If it turns out to make the GTs faster over all thats great, because they need to be, well thats my take on it anyway.....
You're points correct, but the figures are shady....clearly the longer your foots on loud, the better and while your shifting you arent accelerating. But I reckon my granny could shift in under 1 second .... or she could if she hadn't died 30 years ago. I couldn't say exactly how long a straight through shift would take but I would guess well under half a sec......Just my 2c

·
Mid-life crisis
327 Posts
Hypnodoc said:
C'mon guys steering into a sweeper with the speedo needle floating on the speed limiter in 5th gear :AAHHH: , manual or auto thats what these babies were built for :wnc:
Smiiiiiiile! :wnc:

Gotta like the way you think Doc!

(of course that would be 5th ......or 6th :angel: )

·
1,934 Posts
galaxy xr8 said:
Fair dinkem you blokes get wound up for some reason, it was only an example for god sake....arrrr

·
1,934 Posts
Cobra said:
sbutler surely you have heard of clutchless upshifting. Flat change, foot on gas, let say half throttle to keep the revs there, but not to overrev when changing.
Oh thats how they do it!! that means if I do that, I will beat my 13.5 I did changing normely? somehow I dont think I'll try it.......

·
No stars in my eyes
1,014 Posts
fpv f6t said:
You're points correct, but the figures are shady....clearly the longer your foots on loud, the better and while your shifting you arent accelerating. But I reckon my granny could shift in under 1 second .... or she could if she hadn't died 30 years ago. I couldn't say exactly how long a straight through shift would take but I would guess well under half a sec......Just my 2c

This shit happens all the time on here....an example get converted to a fact....then the fact gets critisised as bs.

Cheers.

·
1,934 Posts
firefox7 said:
This shit happens all the time on here....an example get converted to a fact....then the fact gets critisised as bs.

Cheers.
Yep,, I think its infentile minds at work......

·
The SB Slayer
1,542 Posts
Hypnodoc said:
A lot of people really forget why these cars are made they do turn corners and they turn pretty good too.
Cheers Alex.

·
Registered
780 Posts
fpv f6t said:
Smiiiiiiile! :wnc:

Gotta like the way you think Doc!

(of course that would be 5th ......or 6th :angel: )
Soon it will be 5th or 6th. Oh so very soooooooon :wnc:

101 - 117 of 117 Posts
About this Discussion
116 Replies
30 Participants
Hypnodoc
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing