Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 412 Posts

·
[email protected]*****
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Essentially I am bolting on a high power non intercooled turbo kit onto an otherwise stock falcon and taking the power up in stages to see where it leads to. I've engineered it all to be as simple as it can be to install. Although the log manifold may seems simple, it really is in my opinion the best way to go (unless someone can convince me otherwise). I've located the turbo low so it doesnt melt the brake booster or bonnet (much like where the BA turbo is located). The wastegate is located in an ideal location so that the gases are wasted equally from the front and rear cylinders (yes its a split pulse design). The exhaust exit is straight then into a 45 deg bend. No nasty 90deg bends to impede flow and a 4" exhaust is possible. The manifold is designed to fit all T4 turbos and the much larger T series turbos(which are quite large). To top it off the manifold is designed to flow gasses as well as possible with smooth bend. There is a little volume located where the wastegate waste gases so that flow can still continue into the turbine (does that make sense).

Will post more pics once finished the 3.5" exhaust and 2.5" cross over pipe

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
Awesome news!!! looks great... cant wait to see the results!!! got any more pics lately??? :hungry:

·
no tire smoke no fun!
458 Posts
keep us posted, interesting !

·
[email protected]*****
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I put on the exhaust and cross over pipe today and took it for a drive with the wastegate on a 3psi spring. I had the air fuel ratio meter on and the fueling was lean right across the board with it going to 16+:1 trying to get it on boost (very lean). Then put on an adjustable fuel pressure reg and pushed the fuel pressure up (dont know how much, maybe 10psi) and got the idle a/f ratio to about 10.5 (was about 15 but want about 13 here. At this idle air/fuel ratio its beginning to be so rich that the idle is not the best) which gave me a 3psi boost a/f ratio of about 13.5 (was 16+|butwant about 12 here). Nevertheless with just 3psi there is a decent power gain to spin one tyre with the open diff in second gear.
I could use a 1 to 4 rising rate regulator which would help in getting the mixtures closer but will first try with a map sensor mod that may help. I have a fully programmable EMS8860 already set up but I am just interested to see how well I can get the stock computer working at 3psi.

Regarding costing, I have not worked this out yet but will post once I put pen to paper. However if anyone wants laser cut exhaust flanges/ split pulse turbo flanges/ racegate flanges that fit perfectly I can supply them to anyone who is interested in building their own turbo manifold.

Attachments

·
[email protected]*****
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Regarding the above photo, note that turbonetics have some good and not so good turbines. The ones that I choose to use are a big bore at the entry and are a much better design than the small bore entry turbines. Note that the turbine holes are exactly matched with the turbine outlet for smooth flow. Although the turbine is new I get it machined very smooth along with the manifold so that there is no need to use any turbo gasket.
The engine bay looks a bit messy cause I'm using jumper leads to get the power from the battery on the other side. This will all be sorted out in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Are you going to fit an abjustable boost controller? My mate was talking them up the other week, was thinking about the eboostcontroller, but its around $400. I think changing the springs would get annoying, but in your setup the wastegate seems very accessible.

·
black xr6
33 Posts
Mate that is sik i have an ed xr6 and would love to do something like that but have none of the knowledge required, or the connections to get it done how much it cost?
i am envious that is beutiful mate im blown away. cheers seeing that has made my day

·
[email protected]*****
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks 9psi EB, thats the first thing that became obvious when I took it for a drive. Yes blocked it off. Re that ign, I already got an MSD 6A to put in.

Today I plugged in my "plug and play" EMS8860. All of 5 minutes to plug in a programable engine management system. I was going to try further with playing with the stock computer but I forgot the Ford Map sensor is frequency based which prevents me doing a resistor mod on it and I am not going to buy a 1:8 ratio fuel pressure regulator just to experiment for a few days.

Anyway the EMS 8860 makes everything easy. It was all up and running on a N/A setup and didn't need much playing around for the 3psi setup. This ED auto would not spin the "right hand tyre" when normally aspirated. Now with the turbo on it will completely ark the right hand inner tyre of the start with an auto. Just having the turbo there gives more power at zero boost off the line.

I have also made the EMS 8860 control part of the shifting of the automatic transmission so that I can have a absolutely stock softly shift trans at normal driving but a really hard shifting trans under load. It shifts much better under boost with the EMS controlling the trans than it does with the original computer.

I will be putting the 5psi spring in this weekend and hopefully head for the track in the next couple of weeks.

·
Registered
91 Posts
APPLAUSE!!!
We have a winner!
That is up there with the best manifold set up i've seen in a falcon 6. (the other was a high mount in a cortina where low mount was not an option).

I'll be patiently watching this car come together and drawing inspiration to finish mine when i am back in Oz.
cheers Aaron

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Looking good Tony, cant wait till you start selling these kits :D:D

·
[email protected]*****
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm not going to say anything much about times at the moment cause I prefer to rely on time slips or actual dyno figures. The aim I have is to take it as far as I can with a NON-intercooled setup. The reason being is CAPA sell a non-intercooled supercharger kit (which I consider a waste of time and money personally) guys are paying good money for it when a non-intercooled turbo kit will cost less with a fully programmable engine management system included and make alot more power and torque. So I originally used to think every turbo kit has to be intercooled. But in reality its only when you want max power you need an intercooler. By going with a huge turbo in the first place (I am using a T66) it lessens the heat generated in the charge air heaps, postponing the need for an intercooler.
The non intercoolled turbo kit I have designed is very simple to install and only requires a few tools to install it. I reckon about 4 to 5 hrs to install.
To go intercooled is like another stage and the only thing that goes to waste is the cross over pipe. I intend to go intercooled once I have gone as far as I can non-intercooled.
The car I am doing this on is completely stock internally and stock trans. I only intend to replace the head gasket with a metal one some time down the track. The pistons in the ED onwards (and EB I think) are of a very strong construction in my opinion (similar design to the pistons in my 500+rwhp turbo trana) and will withstand 20psi boost. The stock EA pistons are not as strong (they have the slots at the side of the piston) and will only take so much.

Now that the BA turbos are putting out a bit of power thru the BTR 4sp, I now see that they are not as weak as originally made out. With what I know about them I reckon I can get the stock trans to hold a bit of power but this has to be fully experimented with and demonstrated down the track.

As I have plenty of other committments, it may take sometime. Getting the 600rwhp out the engine is easy for cause been there done that. But putting big power thru the auto trans is the problem. Thats why I am in no hurry going intercooled untill I sort the trans out.

How ya going Martin. EMS have Autotune for your EMS8860. You should download it from the net. I have not used it yet (my laptop is partially out of order) but it looks good.

·
Registered
237 Posts
how much are EMS8860?
how good was it when you had it setup NA?
Can it change the spedo reading for 3.7 3.9 4.1 diff gears?
can you please give me a link to the manufacturer

This project is awesome thanks for sharing the build up.
Cheers, Con

1 - 20 of 412 Posts
About this Discussion
411 Replies
92 Participants
clevo400
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing