Ford Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
OK, so I got back at this. I rolled the crank around to TDC (boy, this thing is stiff to turn), confirmed it was on the compression stroke by watching the valves, and checked the timing.

The distributor was 180 degrees out. I re-installed it correctly, and re-ran the plug wires. While it was easier to start, it would still start, sputter, and die. and it would only start with the throttle -wide- open. Tinkering with this produced mixed results, none of which were a running engine.

We've reduced the symptoms a bit, but it's still 'run, sputter, die' and I don't know why.

Suggestions?

·
Super Moderator
20,063 Posts
You got to find out if it's a spark or fuel problem or both .Check to see if spark at plugs is constant the short time it runs as it does sound electrical . As it's starting from cold , are the choke / butterfly flaps operating , set up correctly ? Not knowing anything about the distributor fitted I dont know if this helps in any way or applies in testing ,

https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/GM-Cadillac-Deville-Fleetwood-ELD-Seville-1990-1998/DISTRIBUTOR-IGNITION-SYSTEM/Diagnosis-and-Testing/_/P-0900c1528025eb6a

·
Super Moderator
1,189 Posts
Get rid of the electronic ignition. That system is a piece of shit. I've seen many problems with them. If they get covered in oil fumes or grease they don't work. Put the points back.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, the wife is letting me spring for an MSD ignition system, so that's a problem solved. I'm going to do a little more research before installation, but I think I have a plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
You say it's stiff to turn, with the spark plugs out?
A bit, yes. when I had the valve covers off when I was sorting out the timing, I noticed it was -incredibly- clean in there. It looks like someone did a fresh rebuild of the motor. Once I get it running, I'm going to treat it gently for a while, and make sure to run a cow magnet through the oil, just to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
the distributor was a POS no-name-brand 'points replacement kit', -and- the main ignition circuit kept cutting out. I bypassed all the old wiring, and installed an MSD ignition system, and it runs -glorious-. Well, other than the 2 barrel carb being a bucket of crap.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts