Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im looking for some insight and opinions on which way i should go with my fairlane.

Its a 67 Fairlane 500 convertable. Now im a younder guy (24 now), but i still want to try and keep the car pretty clasic looking, with no modern updates besides maybe some audio improvement...... NO hydrolics, no 22" rims.. ... lol...

Now, im always a fan of putting things back the way they should be. And heres my dilema..... the car originaly had a 289 in it, yet somewhere down this cars 40 year history someone inserted a 302 in it. Now to my knoledge the 302 wasnt available to later years. Now my thinking is id like to put an engine into the car that was in production models in 67.

Now, i could go back to a 289...... but who wants to go smaller???? Now, allthough its not the engine that came with this exact car, im considering hunting down the factory monster 427......it was available in the 67 500's..... rated at 425/480 out of the factory....... that with a set of matching 427 tags for the front fenders..... mmmm mmmmm good!

Whats everyones opinion???? Ya dont see many 67 fairlane 500 convertables.... and ya def. dsont see many with the monster 427 in it. It would make for a pretty killer car.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
on a side note.... the 427 is real rare... if i cantlocate one without selling my testicles to afford it, what other options would some of you recomend????

·
Classic not Plastic!
45 Posts
Your not talking about the 427 Daytona Over head cam engine are ya?
I got mates in America who have only ever heard of em in magasines little alone seen one for sale.

·
Registered
917 Posts
92hatchattack said:
Hey guys, im looking for some insight and opinions on which way i should go with my fairlane.

Its a 67 Fairlane 500 convertable. Now im a younder guy (24 now), but i still want to try and keep the car pretty clasic looking, with no modern updates besides maybe some audio improvement...... NO hydrolics, no 22" rims.. ... lol...

Now, im always a fan of putting things back the way they should be. And heres my dilema..... the car originaly had a 289 in it, yet somewhere down this cars 40 year history someone inserted a 302 in it. Now to my knoledge the 302 wasnt available to later years. Now my thinking is id like to put an engine into the car that was in production models in 67.

Now, i could go back to a 289...... but who wants to go smaller???? Now, allthough its not the engine that came with this exact car, im considering hunting down the factory monster 427......it was available in the 67 500's..... rated at 425/480 out of the factory....... that with a set of matching 427 tags for the front fenders..... mmmm mmmmm good!

Whats everyones opinion???? Ya dont see many 67 fairlane 500 convertables.... and ya def. dsont see many with the monster 427 in it. It would make for a pretty killer car.
I would think a 408 FE would be the way , worth investigating .

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^ Any clue what year and cars these engines came in???

Does anyone have a list of model/years that each diffrent engine came with????

·
Registered
13 Posts
in 1967 they came with -6 cylinder - 289 2v - 289 4v - 390 2v w/270hp - 390 4v w/315hp - 390 gt 4v w/320hp are the 427 r code w/425hp.......... I drive a 67 GTA w/ a 428 CJ putting out 490hp 2x4 intake, roller rockers , ported & polished heads , 11 to 1 forged pistons , 520 lift cam , 4:11 posi , 3500 stall w/ bullet proof C-6 trans , I kick butt with the air conditioner on !! :hy:

·
Registered
13 Posts
No track time . Its not that far to the track just to many projects and to much work.. I just like buying tires....And riding my pan head

·
Registered
442 Posts
92hatchattack said:
^^^ nice, any tracktimes???? 2v/4v???? are we talking valves per cylinder???
In old Ford speak, "V" refers to carburetor venturi, not valves. As the heads on some 4V engines where better than those on 2V engines, such as the larger ports on a 4V 351C, heads often are identified as 2V (for 2 barrel carb applications) or 4V (4 barrel carb applications). Its the carb that goes with that engine that lends the name. All of those main stream engines had 2 valves per cylinder.

Steve

·
Registered
442 Posts
hot428ford said:
in 1967 they came with -6 cylinder - 289 2v - 289 4v - 390 2v w/270hp - 390 4v w/315hp - 390 gt 4v w/320hp are the 427 r code w/425hp.......... I drive a 67 GTA w/ a 428 CJ putting out 490hp 2x4 intake, roller rockers , ported & polished heads , 11 to 1 forged pistons , 520 lift cam , 4:11 posi , 3500 stall w/ bullet proof C-6 trans , I kick butt with the air conditioner on !! :hy:
I like the sound of that car. Any pics?

Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im just wondering, if i were to build an 11:1 CR straight 390, how fast do you think i can get this thing to move down the 1/4 mile???

I mean it is a pretty heavy car i guess... i know the elite 427 was rated at 425hp, and averaged a [email protected] down the 1/4 mile in the 67 fairlane. Now im pretty sure that i can make those numbers with a stright 390 right???

Also, taking that 13.8, and adding some shorter gears, what do you think it would run then??? How short can i go with the gearing, and i guess in the end i need a tranny with OD for the street??? Ill need to have the car streetable for a nice cruising speed of 75mph.

So, what kind of combinations can i use, and how fast will they make me??? I think my goal is just to build something to put my car in high/mid 12's..... i would be more than satisfied with this....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts