Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Vintage Mustang Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few questions concerning my 67 mustang gta i just bought. I have a 289 2v. What does the 2v, 4v stand for? Next, did Ford ever make non K-code cars but with 289 hipo engines? If so, what code did they have? I know that the K-code car has extra goodies other than the hipo engine so if a car had the hipo engine and not the other things (if the car exists) then what code would it be? The reason i am asking this is because i have seen a supposed non K-code, hipo engine car. If they did make non K-code cars then the original code would be wrong because there is no other code letter for a 289 hipo engine other than K and my engine code would be wrong too (if it is a hipo engine).my car is C-code but it looks like a hipo engine. I know that the previous owner could have put the made the engine look like a hipo so how can i be sure if it is or isnt a hipo engine? Do i look at the main bearing caps? The main caps were subsantially larger in the hipo correct? Also, my car has a choke and ive never really looked for a choke on other cars but all of the parts catalogs i have say that choke cables are only for 289 hipo engines, is this true? This may sound really stupid but what does theG and the T in GTA stand for? I know what a means and i know what the G and the T mean parts wise but what is the acronym for each? Does anyone know a reputable classic restoration or paint shop in the Greenville SC area? Does anyone have info on the stripe width of a 65 shelby gt350? I love my car and it wouldnt be a big deal if it didnt have a hipo engine but ya never know! Thanks very much for the help!

G

·
Ok, lets do it this way.
k code 289 hipo (motor designation)
a code 289 4v
c code 289 2v
2v/4v is talking about either 2 or 4 barrel carbs. Ie 2 venturi or 4 venturi
GT stands for grand touring or gran tourismo
GTA automatic gt car

the K in the vin stands for the fact that the car came with a 289 hipo motor. The K stands for the hipo, so any car that came with a hipo would have the K in the vin. A gt could be any of the v8 motors in some of the years. I think in 67 you could have an a,k, or c code 289 gt car. If the car does not have a K in the proper place in the vin and someone has put a hipo motor in it it will never be worth as much as a true K code car. Hipo dress up parts can be purchased just about anywhere. I don't remember all of the stuff that made a hipo, but I know they were to have mechanical lifters, dual point distributors and a few other more obvious features.

Choke cable was probably added later. I have an aftermarket holley carb on my car with mechanical choke and when when I bought my car (a code 289) someone had swapped the intake and carb for a 2bbl stuff. But it was a mechanical choke too.

Don't know anyone up there, but the stripe stuff is available a lot of different places. Do a search online. Also call up tony branda for a catalog. They will probably charge you for it, but the info in there is really great and worth the price.

·
Multi Car Owner
927 Posts
Wow, I did not know these facts posted here. If and when I hunt for a old Stang I know what to look for.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts