Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Vintage Mustang Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im about to buy a 67 gta for just under 5k. Not much rust and its not bad. Just needs paint and a back seat restitch. Its got a 289 hi-po with new oil pump, holley 600, edelbrock torker intake, cam, redone heads and windage tray. The interior lookes great and has new headliner and new rims and wheels. The trans inkage was loose but thats no big deal right? We drove it and it sounds and feels great. no power steering or a/c. This is probly a stupid question but what does gt and gta stand for and what does it mean? I love the car and im going to buy it anyway but i was wondering if i was getting a good deal. Thanks for the help.
oh yea,is it true only 1700 289 hi-po were made?

·
Multi Ford Member
28 Posts
Difference between the two is the GTA is an automatic. I don't have my books with me but I don't remember the gt/ gta having a 289. The only ones I remember were 390's. A bud of mine had one way back when. It run great - in a straight line, just don't try to turn the darn thing at speed. Front end heavy-BIG time.

M

·
0 Posts
If it is really a gt and in the condition described it sounds like a decent car for the price. There were 289 hipo gts in 67.

·
Vintage Mustang Member
70 Posts
GTA=Grand Touring Automatic. Price is about right for a coupe, a fastback at that price would be a GOOD deal. Beware of rust! An "S" as the fifth character in the VIN would be 390, "K" would be a 289 Hi-Po.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts