Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. We have a 69 Fairlane 500 2 Dr coupe. Automatic so the shifter on the column.
I've had several mechanics look at it and it cannot be repaired so we need to replace the whole thing.

From what I've read, the universal ones from Summit and other sites are something to avoid, so..

Any options for something I can find at a junkyard for swapping into the Fairlane? Any of the newer Mustangs or other Fords?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not 100 on the issue.
It slips out of gear constantly.

You have to hold the lever in park to start it otherwise it kicks into reverse. If you can get it perfect in park it might stay for a minute..then slips out.
If it is in drive it will drop out of drive into neutral.

Others slip too but never stays in park or drive.

The friend who took it apart when I was there thought it was some wear and tear on this metal piece that looks like a city skyline. But.. It looked ok when we got it out. So we're stumped.

That catalog looks amazing; it has everything! Thank you for that.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
Going by what you described, this sounds like the column isn't moving the lever on the transmission. Have you verified it can move on the transmission? Does the Neutral Safety Switch work (can you start it in anything other than Neutral or Park)?

Also, if this is the C-4 transmission, you can still get parts, it sounds more like that if the linkage does full range of travel when not connected to the transmission.

·
Super Moderator
9,617 Posts
That sounds like the safety switch may need to be tweaked, but that doesn't prove if the shifting arm on the transmission is moving the shaft correctly on the transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Inspect the shift lever bushings on the shift arm that attaches to the bell crank on the engine block. Those hard rubber bushings dry out and break off with time.There are two of them.. One from the column shift arm and another on the bell crank to block arm. I would look there first

·
Super Moderator
22,769 Posts
Inspect the shift lever bushings on the shift arm that attaches to the bell crank on the engine block. Those hard rubber bushings dry out and break off with time.There are two of them.. One from the column shift arm and another on the bell crank to block arm. I would look there first

Must have got it fixed as has not been back on since posting over a year ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts