Ford Forums banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
imugli said:
Isn't the 4.6 to wide to fit into the BA engine bay easily? I know Hilliers put it in the 300+, but I didn't think it was viable on a high volume basis...

I hereby stand to be corrected. :)
Keep standing then! The 4.6 is narrower than the 5.4 due to the shorter deck height of the block (shorter stroke).

What Ian says is true, but only for the same gear ratio, if the Mazda revs 50% higher and has gearing to match (ie same road speed at 9000rpm as the Nissan at 6000rpm) then they would accelerate at the same rate.

PS that is just a hypothetical, theoretical example. I pulled those figures out of my... I mean from thin air! So don't argue about what the gearing actually is. I agree entirely with the point you're making (don't overlook torque) but there is more to it.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
outback_ute said:
What Ian says is true, but only for the same gear ratio, if the Mazda revs 50% higher and has gearing to match (ie same road speed at 9000rpm as the Nissan at 6000rpm) then they would accelerate at the same rate.

PS that is just a hypothetical, theoretical example. I pulled those figures out of my... I mean from thin air! So don't argue about what the gearing actually is. I agree entirely with the point you're making (don't overlook torque) but there is more to it.
Sure gearing matters but in gear pull of the torque makes for more of a improvement then gearing could (within reason of course). However what you need to do with a low torque car is to increase the gearing which magnifies the torque (think leverage). The shorter the gearing the more torque that is going to the rear wheels. In first gear, your rwNm is greater than in say a 1:1 gear like 4th (on most gearboxes).

Gearing is important, however with a fatter torque line with a 350Z, it would be easier to get right, and easier to going faster.

Think about everything you know about powerful cars - and it's all about getting the wheels moving. Ever seen a semi trailer "REALLY" take off without a load? It's an impressive sight to say the least - however the gearing lets it down in any real acceleration effort because about the first 4 are real short for grunty (ie torque-y) take offs.

It is all about torque.

·
Blue Blood
1,375 Posts
dumbarse said:
And some have more than others................ :angel:
Just doing my bit to get that post count to 1,000,000!

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
Ford will have a 6.2, it will be released for the 07 F150 (mid to late 06) in the F150, it will put out 350HP (the 5.4 3 valve puts out 300hp in the truck)
Can Ford Aus get their hands on it at the same time? Well they got the 3valve 5.4 before it was even released in the US, so there is a possibility if the demand is that high.
I think they should release a GTHO around that same time with a 370kw 6.2L V8 hooked up to a 50kw electric motor for boosted fuel economy, power and a crap load of torque. The GT and GT-P should have the 370kw motor as it is.
They should build a two door version also, and call it the Thunderbird and export it - do a much better job than the GTO

121 - 126 of 126 Posts