Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I discovered that the Thermactor check valve is leaking exhaust. It looks like it has been damaged. I didn't really get where it's bad in the photos, though. Kinda hard to get the camera at the right angle.

Anyway... I can find all the parts to replace the pump, diverter, and check valve, but the pump is absurdly expensive, and doesn't seem worth it. As it is the current pump seized up a long time ago, before I even got the car, so it's not doing anything anyway. At this point, is even worth putting that all together? The catalytic converters have already been chopped out, and the car isn't subject to emissions testing.

Should I just swap out the check valve and call it a day? Or can I yank all those parts out and plug the port in the manifold with a bolt and washer? For now I really just want it to run smoothly without exhaust leaking out under the hood.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, definitely not in Cali. I currently don't have a wrench that fits on the fitting with the manifold. And I have no idea how large that fitting is, so that's going to be a challenge plugging it. In the meantime, since the check valve is leaking, seems like the most immediate course of action is to seal the leak with some SteelStik. It's doing a pretty decent job plugging the Thermactor port on the driver side with a partially disintegrated plug stuck in it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts