Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Very new to the forum. I recently purchased a 79 F350 dump truck with a 400, 4 speed manual. The truck is in relatively good shape but needs a lot of TLC. I am in no way a mechanic but can do simple maintenance, oil changes, bolt-on parts, etc. The truck looks to have the original carb on it. Most vacuum lines on the engine are either disconnected or capped. The line right under the air cleaner on the front of the carb is not hooked up. It turns over very hard when starting cold or warm but when it comes to life it runs really well going down the road. Just takes 5 minutes or so to warm up. Could this be a timing issue? Previous owner states turning distributor makes for easier starts but then truck doesn't run as good. (???) It usually has to cool down before it will start again. Definitely need to get that fixed. I plan on replacing the battery just for my piece of mind. Is there anything else I can check with my level of knowledge? I will probably be taking the truck to a local old boy who can tune it, reattach vacuum lines, etc. but I really want to get my hands dirty on this and have a little fun with it. Oil and filter has been changed, all fluids look okay. Would a newer ignition module (Pertronix, etc.) be any benefit?

I know this is a lot of different issues but I would appreciate ANY kind of guidance.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
19,168 Posts
" I will probably be taking the truck to a local old boy who can tune it, reattach vacuum lines, etc. " that would be my first step if I were you and seek his advice once he has checked it out . Also tell him about the " Previous owner turning distributor " and how the timing will need properly set up .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I will definitely take his advise. Any thoughts or recommendations on a Pertronix set-up. Which ignition module and coil would best suit for a stock application? Not looking to burn the tires off, just want a good reliable strong start, idle, run.

·
Super Moderator
7,687 Posts
FAST, Pertronix, and Mallory are well liked. You can gain a little performance, there's less to mess with, but with electronic ignition, it rarely clues you in on the fact that it's at death's door. Failing points can give you a little warning. Points are cheaper, but generally electronic is more reliable, less finicky with temperature and initial start up, and the electronic ignition is less sensitive to moisture.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts