Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this is a stupid question i know
but i was wondering if u guys could explain all the diff chips and stuff that are around...im hearing things like...unichips and trip computers n stuff....just wondering wat they are/do

·
Dev 5 Mutant
1,383 Posts
Aftermarket chips let you reprogram certain functions that your stock ECU won't.

eg air fuel ratio, turbo boost, ignition.

They all hook up to your stock ECU via different ways. They store the changed info in the chip and when taken off your car restore your car to its normal settings.

You can also buy replacement ecu's/computers such as the wolf3d. These replace the whole setup in your car and not just plug into what you already have(to the best of my knowledge).

Your basic trip computer will give you things like distance to empty, distance travelled etc. These are normally offered by your manufacturer as an option unlike the aftermarket chips/ecu's which are installed separately.

Thats a pretty basic rundown.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Hi Guys,

Im a newbie to the forum, you all seem to know about "pick'n'payless" is there something like this in QLD ?

Also, i have a 94 EF, i can here a small whine noise from under the car, and the idle differs just a very small amount when in park. any ideas ?

Im thinking either;

1. Fuel Pump
2. Fuel Filter
3. Injectors need a clean

·
ford is king
169 Posts
do you mean the idle differs between drive and park because if thats what you mean its normal

it will idle higher in n or p than r d 3 2 1

1 - 4 of 4 Posts