Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've blown out the second starter in a couple weeks on my F-250's 460. In both cases the gear doesn't stay extended long enough to start the motor. The first time was merely annoying as I was still home, but this last time it left me stranded in the middle of a main road when I couldn't crank the motor after an accidental stall. So, before I go and make yet another warranty exchange (it's a CarQuest part from Advance), is there a possibility of some problem with my motor causing these failures? Or are the starters I've installed more likely to just be junk?

·
Super Moderator
19,319 Posts
Take it you doble checked it was the correct starter initially , length of shaft , number of teeth on pinion , throw of pinion and condition / security of starter ring gear o.k . Also engine turning freely by hand , ALL grounds checked out . If all o.k , probably bum starter .

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's certainly the correct part. In December I initially replaced the starter (it was really bad, causing a lot of sparks on the tester), as well as all of the cables. New battery cables, new cable to the starter, new engine ground cable. What's bugging me is how much more easily this last starter cranked the motor than the last one did, but within a week it failed. They both spun up, but didn't actually engage the flywheel.

So, in essence, there's no actual problem with this starter or the last getting power or turning on. They both just ended up failing to actually engage the flywheel. The gear no longer extends. Turn the key, you can hear it go, but no engine cranking. It just seemed odd to me to have two starters fail that way in quick succession.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I haven't pulled this one out yet, haven't yet had an opportunity. But before I installed it, I had the last one bench tested where I bought it. The starter gear only extended for about a half second before retracting while the starter still had power applied. It sounds exactly the same right now. Also, I did check the teeth during the swap and didn't see any damage. I'll be checking again once I pull this one out, though, just to be sure. During the week between installing the current starter and when it failed, it did crank without any indication of a problem. It actually cranked better than it did with the previous two starters.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, that's what I thought. With two identical failures so close together, just wanted to make sure that there wasn't a likely other issue to check out. I'd have more expected an underlying engine issue or electrical issue if the starter wasn't spinning up when energized. Which was part of the problem with starter the truck had when I bought it. But I had never heard of two starters in short succession failing to extend the gear. Thanks for helping me confirm.

·
Super Moderator
19,319 Posts
Many years back I removed starter and drew a new one from our parts dept .After fitting , still having problems and checked for other faults before deciding starter was faulty .Cut a long story short , that one was faulty also and third one I got fixed the fault .Also had the same with a GM alternator 3rd one before it cured fault , learned a lesson , you can never take for granted anything with cars .

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
Just as a heads up, I'v not had any luck with CarQuest parts that involve wires... or holding up under load... or sitting on a bench for that matter.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just as a heads up, I'v not had any luck with CarQuest parts that involve wires... or holding up under load... or sitting on a bench for that matter.
Yeah, I'm feeling that. I've been putting off swapping it out again. Plus, since a brake caliper decided to bust a seal while on the tow truck, I haven't been inspired to do anything yet. I only just ordered rebuild kits for the calipers this weekend, so maybe I'll be rolling again by Halloween.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, so the other week I got the brakes repaired and the starter swapped again. I took the truck out for coffee, and the damned starter went goofy on me. A friend helped out with transportation, and I managed to get the starter out and to the store for testing where it worked perfectly. Got it back in the truck, and home I went. Took it out again a couple more times, but kept a hammer in the cab. It got goofy a couple more times, but a few whaps with the hammer cured it. Then it failed completely while out at a store. So, had to Uber/Lyft home, grab tools and a different car, and yadda yadda yadda, I got it back home with yet another starter. Oh, which after three attempts at starting has failed.

After finally hearing the term Bendix, I did a bit more searching. It sounds like maybe what is happening is not a failure with the Bendix, but perhaps an internal bushing getting loose and allowing too much play, so that the Bendix has nothing firm to push against. So, in theory I could replace the Bendix, but I'd end up in the same boat.

Also, I read that there are different starters for auto and manual, but I haven't seen any parts listings that indicate such a thing.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
Oddly enough, for the Windsor blocks there is 2 different starters, one for automatic and one for manual, but for the 460, I've only found one that is supposed to apply to both. Possibly a shimming issue?

On a side note, remans these days are horrible. Who are you getting them from and what brand?

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
They've all been CarQuest remans from Advance Auto. They were the only retailer in the area that had any in stock, and I didn't feel like waiting for one to get shipped.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think this may be the trouble with the starters. This little pin for the drive gear solenoid. Opened it up to see it barely in place. Pushed it back in, worked the solenoid a bit, and the pin started sliding out. The damned thing barely has any resistance to being slid in and out of position. Once it pops out far enough, the solenoid no longer works, and the drive gear no longer extends. So, I figure I ought to take out the pin and find a more suitable option that won't come out on its own.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, this is a cheap an easy thing to do, so I'll see how this works first. If it doesn't hold well, then I'll grab a Motorcraft reman from RockAuto or something.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok, so it turns out that when I went and replaced battery cables, I overlooked the one for the starter. This morning I noticed how cruddy it looked by the starter and got a new one. I'm waiting for the battery to get recharged before I'll know if everything is all good.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I spoke too soon. It seemed promising, but it's back to the same crap after a full charge. Now it's time to just get a Motorcraft reman.

·
Super Moderator
1,112 Posts
It sounds like you've already replaced the cables, but I had a similar problem with a 460 in an F-53 chassis motorhome that was almost new. It turned out to be a broken ground strap in an almost invisible location under the cable insulation.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
As far as I can tell, the only ground available bolts with a bracket against the block, and connects directly to the battery. So, as long as all three cables are good, it should have a nice clean circuit. I double checked the ground cable a few days ago, and it appears to still be nice and secure.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts