Ford Forums banner

41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Might be a good idea to make reference marks at the base of the distributor and the block to know where you were before adjustment.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Thanks for all the help on this, guys. The weather is supoosed to be really nice tomorrow, so I'll see what I can get done. Gonna cross my fingers that I don't break another starter getting this all sorted out. =P

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
By any chance, would anyone know where I could find some documentation on removing the smog pump bracket(s)? I think this thing had two smog pumps when new, but has none at present. The brackets remain and obstruct proper line of sight to the timing marker. I'm not sure how removing them would impact how the alternator is mounted.

·
Super Moderator
7,646 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Yeah, they really made this hard. I know I can just go get a serpentine conversion kit that'll take care of it, but I don't have $800+ to spend on that right now just so I can properly adjust ignition timing. Although those kits are really nice, and I'm considering getting one for this truck and my wagon. I attached some photos to give an idea on the angle. Hopefully you can see the marker down in there.

I did manage to slightly retard the timing, I think. I had to remove part of the AC compressor bracket so I could reach the bolt for the distributor. Also had to use some impact to make it move. It wouldn't turn by hand at all. So, I think I got it moved by 4 or 5 degrees.

I guess I'll know what kind of success I have once I can get that starter swapped, now.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Pick up a distributor wrench, they'll reach around the distributor in tight places. Back in the day of tuneup's these were a must have tool. A lot of times you'll see them in the bargain bins at some of the parts stores for only a few bucks.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Pick up a distributor wrench, they'll reach around the distributor in tight places. Back in the day of tuneup's these were a must have tool. A lot of times you'll see them in the bargain bins at some of the parts stores for only a few bucks.

Son of a... Damn. Wish I knew those existed. Would have made things so much easier. Might as well still get one (or more) since I know I'll be doing this again.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
The bargain bins I'm talking about 'I believe' are called Regal Tools. You seem them in some hardware & parts stores and they'll have things like small socket sets, wire brushes, bungee cords, precision screwdriver sets & ect.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
But your ears don't get as greasy if you use a wrench.

Sorry guys!
Ha!

I did manage to find the distrubutor wrench set at a local NAPA. And it wasn't in the bargin bin, either.

Tomorrow I'll get the starter swapped. I have to go to a different NAPA to do a warranty exchange, and it wasn't in the same direction I had to go to run some errands.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Oh crap... Forgot... I had to have it delivered to that NAPA. I guess I'll be finding out if they can get deliveries on Sundays, or if I'll be waiting to test it out until Monday night.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Remember in days long gone when necessity prevailed and had to set timing " by ear " ,can't do that nowadays
In the past I have lined up the correct timing mark on the balancer, say 8 degrees BTDC for example, pulled the #1 plug, ground it then turned the distributor until the plug fired. You've got to play around with it but you can get pretty close. Those were good old shade tree days.

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
I remember once changing valve springs, I had no air to pressurize the cylinders, an old man taught me to fill the cylinder with small rope then bring the piston up to hold the valves up. It was a pain but it worked.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Ok, so yesterday was a bust. I somehow hurt my back feeding the animals in the morning and was mostly stuck on the couch all day. And with the rain we're getting today, not sure I'm going to want to crawl around under the truck to get the starter out (it's parked on gravel and dirt).

However, I did manage to find a bracket for cheap. CVF Racing makes bracket sets and seprentine conversion kits for various applications, including the 460 in my truck and the 351M in my wagon, and I've been eyeing their kits for when I'm ready for it. The full kits aren't cheap, but they look worth it. I managed to find an alternator bracket kit that isn't as nice and shiny as it should be that was being sold by them for about half price. Figure I ought to jump on it for under $50.

It'll be nice to have that on hand once I'm ready to actually tear down the front of the motor and get that timing stuff done completely and correctly.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts
About this Discussion
74 Replies
5 Participants
ledzilla
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing