Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a Grand Marquis LS 1988. The car is like new but with a electrical problem.
The problem is, the engine (EFI 5.0L 69000miles) stop running randomly if the car move.

If i'm now here to need advice is because the usual parts had change : Cap & rotor, ignition coil, pickup assembly, ignition control module. and i'm still have almost the same problem. Almost because now, the car restart perfectly right away i did. But never know the next time it will stop. The more is, the shortly it happen !

On first, the car stop running before the purchase. After i got out at the garage (to change all the things above), i made a 400 mile strike to return at my home.
2 times the engine stop in this run. The 3-4 days after, nothing happen running around town. But now, pass 1 week, the car is unsafe. It stop runing in average
of each 2 miles. No check engine light... I dont think it's because the plugs & wires, maybe the computer ?

Some had similar trouble here ?

Real thank's in advence !

·
Registered
2000 grand marquis ls with handling package, magnaflow mufflers,dual exhaust, 3.55 rear axle
70 Posts
Hi there,

I'm a new owner of a Grand Marquis LS 1988. The car is like new but with a electrical problem.
The problem is, the engine (EFI 5.0L 69000miles) stop running randomly if the car move.

If i'm now here to need advice is because the usual parts had change : Cap & rotor, ignition coil, pickup assembly, ignition control module. and i'm still have almost the same problem. Almost because now, the car restart perfectly right away i did. But never know the next time it will stop. The more is, the shortly it happen !

On first, the car stop running before the purchase. After i got out at the garage (to change all the things above), i made a 400 mile strike to return at my home.
2 times the engine stop in this run. The 3-4 days after, nothing happen running around town. But now, pass 1 week, the car is unsafe. It stop runing in average
of each 2 miles. No check engine light... I dont think it's because the plugs & wires, maybe the computer ?

Are you sure you are getting enough fuel? It would not hurt to change the fuel filter. They do not cost much and are easy to change.

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It will be done shortly, in the same time for the plugs & wires. Thanks !

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
Will it die with your foot on or off the gas pedal? It could be the pip sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
21,053 Posts
When you are changing the plugs and wires , check for any vac leaks and PCV valve and hoses/ connections .

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good question 85ltdcrownvic, yes when it shut down, it always when i have my right foot on the pedal.

Thks for the tip R.S.LOGAN

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
Have you pulled codes yet?

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will have time soon to find a good place for that.

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts

You may not have to use a test light as your 88 should have a functional check engine light.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there,

Ignition module.
Mounted on the side of the distributor.
Extremely common failure.
Changed hundreds of them.
I know you said you changed it.
You probably got a bad one, or did not install it properly.
They get hot, they fail intermittently if you do not clean the surface in the dist, and apply heat sink grease.
all the other stuff you changed was a waste of money.

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
He said in the op that was one part that was changed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi there,

Hi, I had the exactly the same problems and symptoms on a Ford I used to own before, someone told me to change the wires that connect to the sparkplug, I did and got the miracle.It was a Taunus about the same years as yours(88) never had any sudden stop running like before. Hope this can help.

·
Super Moderator
1,095 Posts
The member acknowledged that in his reply .

" I know you said you changed it. "
That post was edited then because half of it was not there last night when I posted.

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Thx all for your post, i appreciate !
Last night i take the car for a test ride with a friend on the wheel. Nothing happen !
jet460, yeah, i'm thinking one new part is defect but dont to change all ! Ignition module it will be, thanks !
Ralez01, i will for sure change the wires. My choice stop for a set of Ford Perf. part M-12259-M301
85ltdcrownvic, thanks for the OBD1 page, i hope the car dont have more than lots of sequence to read at the same times !

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Today i take a time to take a read on the OBD1 like the article but with a multimeter.
I read full voltage with just the ground and the solo plug and no voltage when i put the jumper. Not even a kind of variation like a short signal suppose to do.
The page say all the 88 code but when its all good ? Maybe no volt no signal...

The today's ride was kind a mess.
(''when it shut down, it always when i have my right foot on the pedal.'') this is no longer true
How can it be so random !?!

·
Registered
88 Mercury Grand Marquis
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I found this information on this page : Ford Ignition Systems

''The TFI module does what a vacuum and centrifugal advance used to do. It also controls coil
discharge and dwell timing. This means the TFI module does the same job that points, condenser,
and advance units used to do. Doing all of this work makes the TFI module run hot. It has a
reputation for failure due to heat issues. One solution is to use dielectric grease between the TFI
module and the distributor during installation.''

Just like jet460 said, its a common failure, due to heat issues.
For mine, the difference is the engine shut down even if it cold or not, on load (hop hill) or cruise or down hill, at a light or any speed...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts