Ford Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
88-91 Tempo-Topaz rear hub bearing Torque Specifications procedures and tightening. Similar to Renault Alliance 1983-87 Rear bearings #513001 bearing is exactly the same as in the rear hub of (yes) Made in Kenosha Wisconsin USA Renault cars.

Here is the issue.
Bearing and brake shoes of the rear axle are same. #501 brake shoes. Rear axle bearing #513001

In a discussion, guys are cranking down the REAR Axle nut to 118 Foot pounds. I say this is NUTS

Enclosed is the only rear axle nut chart I can find for 89-91 Tempo-Topaz models

http://www.skf.com/binary/81-66360/457377.pdf

On a SKF bearing chart Procedure is as follows """"Tighten hub nut to 17-25 ft-lbs/22-29 Nm while rotating
wheel. Back off 1/2 turn and re- tighten to 10-15 lbs/ 1-2 kg. Install FDA cotter pin."""""

So you can see there is a WILD difference. I say tighten axle nut to no end play-- and tighten a bit more...

They say CRANK it to 118 Foot pounds.

So who is Right ?

thanks in advance. Joe Wagner. Cincinnati ohio ....... Shared parts for shared information:| :surprise:

·
Administrator
8,269 Posts
If its a sealed bearing like the part number you've posted above, crank it down. The inner sleeve of that bearing will absorb the torque not the bearings inside. The varying torque specs you've posted above is for tapered bearings.

·
Administrator
8,269 Posts
Okay, I did some research. The bearing you've listed above #513001 is for AWD. If yours its AWD (axle shaft through the center on rear) you torque it to the 118 ft-lbs.

If its FWD, you would use tapered bearing/race along with a seal and would use the torque steps you've listed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts