Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'88 Taurus, 3.0L, 117,000 miles. New ignition module, distributor cap and rotor, coil, ignition pickup, timing chain and sprockets, distributor drive gear, fuel pump. Recently passed emissions easily. Ran well for about 400 miles and then started to crank but not start. At this time I did the cap and rotor. After I replaced the vacuum hose from the pcv valve to purge solenoid the car started and ran fine for a week or so. Cranked and wouldn't start for a number of days. Took the dielectric grease off the rotor and it started. Ran fine for about another week then stalled while I was driving downtown and would crank but wouldn't start. After 3 days of trying to get it going I had it towed home. It's starting now but I don't know why. Key On Engine Off test was always ok, though after the stall the saved codes indicated an interruption in the PIP, which I've read always appears when an engine stalls. Key On Engine Running may have shown the MAP sensor "not at normal vacuum levels", though I'm not sure I did the test properly. Could the MAP sensor cause this type of long interval intermittent no start condition? Presently I'm afraid to pull out of the driveway. Any ideas?

·
Taco_90
18 Posts
Sounds more like an ignition module or PIP sensor to me even though you've replaced both. Did you try doing a wiggle test on the wiring and looking for a faulty wire in a plug? This would give you the intermittent problems you're describing. I know it's a pain but ...well...you've already replaced everything else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Taco,
Thanks for your reply. Because of your advice I focused on the distributor pickup. Over the weekend I put the original one back in. It's starting now, and eventhough I've had it running for longer periods I'm pretty confident that the new unit I had installed was the problem. Time will tell.
Thanks again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts