Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I have been pulling my hair out over the fuel system for quite a while now. After running the truck from here to there and shutting it off, I can restart it immediately. BUT... after 15 minutes or so it will not start. There seems to be no fuel getting getting pushed through. Disconnecting fuel lines from the pump on to the other side of the filter and eventually at the injectors and finally getting fuel at these various locations sometimes seems to work.

Ah, but yesterday I tried some stupid idea that just popped into my head... I poured a gallon of water onto the injector pump and then it started. My dad said, "Ah, that's vapor lock." A couple hours later I was at a friend's place trying to restart it and this time after a little bit hosed on some water onto the injector pump and it started again.

I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and injector seal kit. Anybody have any clues?? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks...

Norman
---------
1991, F-250 w/ 7.3 International, AT, 4X4

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It was the injector pump. Spent some money, replaced it and shazaam... it is now the most reliable vehicle we got!! Thanks everyone for the help....

Norman

·
Registered
4 Posts
been there , now there , and done that. It seems to happen when air temp starts to drop so I figure with my 30 plus years as engineer and pilot and mechanic that the fuel tanks cool down after a decent drive to warm them up, and while it sits cooling off the tanks are getting a vacuum lock causing the air to get sucked in somewhere. No visible fuel leaks anywhere around engine. I checked my locking fuel caps and one of them seemed to not allow negative pressure venting. so I drilled out the vent valves in the caps to allow tanks to breathe. Still am having the same problem. Both times it was raining when it happened. But my next thought is that it may be either coming back thru a leaking injector possibly thru the nozzle but truck runs to smooth for it to be a faulty injector, so maybe a throttle shaft seal is allowing air into IP or maybe when engine heats up immediately after a shut down it is causing something in the diesel fuel to vaporize out creating a gas bubble which is pushing the fuel out of the IP into the return line and when it condenses after it cools down creates a vacuum in the void the bubble created which is drawing in air. But for that to happen they would have to have added higher volatile substances to the fuel.(diesel fuel now smells like paint thinner)???

1 - 5 of 5 Posts