Ford Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '93 Aerostar's power steering makes a horrible buzzing(vibration) sound and feel at ,or just off, idle when turning the wheel either way. Would a fluid flush fix this or do I need a whole new pump?

Thanks

·
Registered
340 Posts
Most of the time, the noise is a good sign that the pump is on its way out and needs to be replaced. Ford pumps are kind of notorious for that awful noise you're describing. There could also be air trapped in the pump and lines which would also cause the noise. If you're interested in doing it yourself...bleeding the system isn't that difficult and COULD take care of the problem. If the power steering fluid level is ok and has never been run low....odds are air in the system isn't your problem.

There are a few aftermarket manufacturers making replacement pumps for the Fords. The quality is 100% better and they are well worth the extra dough.

Good luck!

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Brian...thanks so much for the reply. Before I go and spend $$$$$$ on a new pump,could you run through the bleeding operation for me and I'll give that a try first. Also,the vibration doesn't happen when the engine is cold, it only seems to do this after the vehicle has warmed-up. Could there be the wrong fluid in there? If so,what is the best(correct) fluid to use?

Thanks again,

Darwin,
'93 Aerostar
'78 F-250 S/C-propane

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sure, no problem at all.

1)Fill the resevoir to the cold full mark on the plastic dipstick.
2)Start the van and let it run until up to normal operating temp so the fluid can get warm.
3)Turn the wheel lock to lock several times but don't hold it at full lock for more than a second or two as you could damage the pump. Recheck the fluid level and top it off if necessary.(Take care to follow the "hot fill" marks on the disptick instead of the cold) Do this until the system doesn't require any more fluid.

That should expel any air from the system. As far as the fluid is concerned, just go with whatever your owners manual says. For the Ford pumps, it's usually just type F transmission fluid.

Brian

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello 92BigBronco,

I have just become an owner of a 1991 3.0 Aerostar and would like to know if you could help me out with some info on which aftermarket manufacturer you would suggest for a power stearing oil pump replacement.

There are a few aftermarket manufacturers making replacement pumps for the Fords. The quality is 100% better and they are well worth the extra dough.
Thanks for your help beforehand.
Dobaym
Europe/ Hungary

·
Super Moderator
8,664 Posts
For 50 bucks, I don't think you can go too wrong.

·
Super Moderator
21,053 Posts
Hello 92BigBronco,

I have just become an owner of a 1991 3.0 Aerostar and would like to know if you could help me out with some info on which aftermarket manufacturer you would suggest for a power stearing oil pump replacement.

Thanks for your help beforehand.
Dobaym
Europe/ Hungary
The poster hasn't been on the forum for 11 yrs , doubt he'll reply .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts