Ford Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 95 Cougar with the 4.6L V8 burns a lot of oil. Maybe 1qt per 1000 miles. The odometer has stopped, but my guess it has about 110,000 miles. I occasionally see a puff of smoke when I accelerate after sitting at a stop light but have never seen a massive cloud. I often sit with the AC on waiting in a parking lot for my son. After a few minutes of idling, I start to see and smell burning oil. The engine starts and runs great, even idling. There have been no codes of any type. I have not calculated MPG, but I do not notice excessive fuel use. The car sits in the garage over the winter.

A friend suggested a clogged air filter may be the problem. I will get a new one today, but doubt it will correct the problem.

I bought the car brand new, so it has sentimental value. However, the idea a spending several thousand dollars on a rebuild sounds like a poor investment.

Thanks for any advice.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
I agree with Logan. The early 4.6 npi motors were notorious for their valve seals wearing out prematurely causing excess oil consumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tip. Sounds a lot better than rebuilding the engine. Any thoughts about $$$. I can perform some basic engine work, but this would be over my head.

·
Super Moderator
793 Posts
I honestly dont know how much it would be to replace the valve stem seals by themselves. Maybe call around to local shops and get some quotes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
3 Participants
85ltdcrownvic
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing