Ford Forums banner

96 Econovan not starting

1116 Views 3 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  Michael539
Hey new to these forums!
I have a 1996 ford econovan with a F8 1.8l sohc carb petrol motor
I had an oil leak from the rocker cover around by the distributor side so decided to fix it. I removed the distributor - to clean around it easier and then removed the air intake to access the rocker cover.
Once everything was removed and cleaned up, I replaced the gasket and resealed the rocker cover then reassembled everything.
I was playing the radio while working and noticed the battery got down to 12.5v by the time I was ready to crank the engine after completing the work. The engine cranked over for awhile then made a big backfire sound and wouldn't start!
I then noticed a part was leftover but couldn't work out where it came from, it had oil on it too. Not sure if that part is the culprit or a slightly flat battery has contributed to the problem?? Any help greatly appreciated!
Office supplies Gas Writing instrument accessory Auto part Font

Household hardware Fastener Gas Engineering Auto part
See less See more
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Dont know much about that engine or where that part came from . Could it be the dist. is now not set up correctly and timing out causing back fire ? Or can it only go back in the one way .Bit worrying when you have parts left over , especially on such a small job
I can't rightly ID it myself, but I'd guess part of the distributor since it's apparent that your timing is off.
I can't rightly ID it myself, but I'd guess part of the distributor since it's apparent that your timing is off.
Thanks for the replies! How would I correctly set the distributor timing again?
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.