Ford Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on my girlfriends taurus for the ses light and it had 2 codes in it originally I forget the first code but I believe the second was a
p0401. Anyhow the description of the codes was egr excessive flow and egr insufficient flow. I figured it was a matter of a sticky valve so I replaced it. Well it reset the p0401 which was insufficient flow about 20 miles after I replaced the valve. I figure it is a matter of either the passage in the intake being restricted from carbon buildup or something in the vaccum circuit not operating properly. I noticed there was an electric solenoid that the vaccum line leading to the egr valve was connected to. I was curious if that solenoid has a tendency of going bad ? I am also curious if anyone knows where the egr passage ends in the intake ? Does it end behind the throttle body or does it just go straight into the plenum ? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
pmkls1 said:
I figured it was a matter of a sticky valve so I replaced it. Well it reset the p0401 which was insufficient flow about 20 miles after I replaced the valve.
I'm getting the same code on a friend's Taurus that I'm working on. What valve was it you replaced?

·
Registered
21 Posts
pmkls1 said:
Anyhow the description of the codes was egr excessive flow and egr insufficient flow.
This is a 401 and a 402, as I remember. You already know that is impossible. It can't be both too much and too little. When I got the exact same results on my car, I was equally puzzled because of that.

I found some posts on the forum that told me the answer. This is a very common problem on the Taurus. It is the sensor, not the EGR valve.

I got a new sensor from Ford, replaced it and all is fine. FYI, the replacement from Ford does not bolt on the same mounting pads as the original one, so I only have one bolt holding it on, but that is enough. It doesn't even need to be bolted down at all, it just keeps it out of the way.

An aftermarket sensor might be okay and might even bolt on better, but I am more comfortable with genuine OEM sensors. Just a personal preference. BTW, I have replaced a few other defective sensors over the years on this car. When the camshaft position one went bad, it broke the entire distributor. Actually, it isn't really a distributor, but it looks like one.

When the speed sensor went out, it was on a road trip and the transmission downshifted at 55MPH. Quite a thrill.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts