Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off....I couldn't find the 'SEARCH' function for this site to see if this topic has been discussed before. Does it have one?

My 97 Taurus w/Vulcan and 106 thousand miles has a minor problem. A couple of months ago it started to intermittently idle a little faster. I purchased an OBD2 reader and found that the Throttle position sensor sometimes would indicate the throttle wasn't quite closed. If I closed the throttle abruptly a couple of times things would be OK for a while. When it happened again later, I decided to clean the throttle body. When I pulled the air filter connecting tube, I uncovered a sticker stating that the throttle body has a special coating, and NOT to clean it or the coating will be destroyed. My throttle body does have a slight build up of debris. How do I clean it so the throttle can close completely?

·
Administrator
8,172 Posts
Hi, The search feature is located in the blue bar above. You must be logged in to see it.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner, it is safe for the coating as It's not as harsh as carb cleaner.

·
canuck
2,493 Posts
You have two options on how to clean the throttle body. The lazy mans way is to spray cleaner at the dirty spots with the engine running (you may need a second body to give it some throttle so the engine doesn't stall out). The proper way would be to remove it and wash it with solvent, let it dry or dry it yourself then reinstall. If you remove it you can clean it twice as good since you can get the crap off the inner side which you can't get at if you leave it connected and just spray GUNK cleaner or another can of cleaner in there. I wouldn't worry much about the coating. It's unlikely it'll come off, if it does it'll go into the intake of the engine. If that was the case Ford would have issued a recall years ago!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
About this Discussion
2 Replies
3 Participants
360ci
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing