Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just bought a 97 Thunderbird with 101k miles for $350. That said, it has a fair amount of issues. Its overheating, I replaced the thermostat and wired the fan directly to the battery, still overheats. I am losing coolant somewhere but there was one leak but it hasn't reappeared. There is also no signs of headgasket failure, no mixing of fluids, no antifreeze coming from exhaust, no bubbles under the radiator cap. I also would like to figure out where I can get the linkage for a windshield wiper. One of them has the splines stripped out and the gear the windshield wiper sits on has the teeth stripped too. Thank you in advance for the help.

Attachments

·
Registered
34 Posts
Have you checked the heater hoses? I was having issues with my 96 4.6 which turned out to be a failure in the intake where the heater hose is attached. In my case it was a small leak and went unnoticed for a good while. It wasn't until the car started miss firing due to coolant getting on one of the plugs that I found the problem. The other line for the heater runs under the intake on a 4.6 and I would think may be hard to spot if it starts leaking.

·
Super Moderator
22,591 Posts
A pressure test of cooling system should show any external leaks and a block test any internal head / gasket leaks . Check also for any leak to interior from heater matrix

1 - 4 of 4 Posts