Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98 5.0 explorer and it is not starting. I didn't hear the fuel pump so checked the regulator. I tested the voltage at the 3&5 pins on the fuse block and it shows 5.3 volts. It has 11.9 at the fuse. The inertia switch is not tripped and I am at a loss as to where to check for the loss of power. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for this but I know where the parts are, just cant seem to figure out the reason for the low voltage.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. The relay is not the issue, the voltage at the connector on the relay block only show 5.3 volts so there is something preventing the correct voltage getting to the relay.

·
Super Moderator
18,968 Posts
Electrics are not a strong point for me , but that worked on some cars over the years for me I'll leave it to those better in that field to advise you .

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Unhook the battery and use a multimeter to check continuity between the fuse and relay. There may be a short or corrosion in that wire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Unfortuneately if thats the case youll have to go over every inch of the fire to find the bad spot. Or I guess you could run a new wire yourself in parallel. Just make sure its the same gauge or larger than stock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
SO after playing around a bit, I find the voltage to be 12v at the relay. I jumped it and still dont hear the fuel pump so I suspect I have a pump failure.

·
Super Moderator
796 Posts
Give the tank a swift whack then turn the key. Usually itll get the pump to prime, if it does that means its new pump time.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
4 Participants
85ltdcrownvic
Ford Forums
Ford Forum is a community to discuss all things Ford. Check out our discussions on the Ford Escape, Mustang, Edge, F-150, Raptor, Explorer, Focus, Fusion, Fiesta and more!
Full Forum Listing