Ford Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· You can call me JAY
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, hoping some of you Ford experts can help me out. First, I was having a problem with my lights dimming and so forth, intermittently. Sometimes nice and bright all OK, then suddenly things would go a bit dim for awhile. A couple days of this, then it stopped coming back to the 'OK' and stayed dim, so I stopped and had the alternator tested. Failed at regulator, so I replaced it with a premium rebuild. It worked great for a day or so, then went back to working great for about 5 minutes then all dim again. Seems to work OK until warmed up, then *bam* things are dim again. So I thought maybe a fuse had blown. I replaced the megafuze and checked pinouts on all the relays (all OK) and all other fuses are OK. Battery was just replaced a couple months ago after the old one would no longer hold a charge. New batt hads been great, but it has run down now since this alternator issue. I am out of ideas. I suspected the battery, but the suddenness of the onset of dim lights makes me think it is not just running down gradualy...can't figure out why it is so sudden after some time running bright and great. PLEASE HELP!!!

· You can call me JAY
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SHOZ123 said:
Seems a lot of the Taurus rebuild alternators are junk. CarQuest seems to be the best.

Be sure all the connectors are on properly and securely.
Hey thanks alot....I had the batt. tested, and it is A-OK holds charge great. I really htink it is the rebuilt alt. so I will take it back and replace. I bought on with Life time warranty so at least they will give me *another* one.

Thanks again....

· You can call me JAY
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SHOZ123 said:
You must have a Vulcan 12V motor. Otherwise you would be ranting about how hard it is to change the alternator too. :evillol: Be glad you don't have a Duratec or SHO motor.
Yeah, the swap is quite simple and easy. I had to do it 3 times. Initially to replace the unit. Then to have it out and re-tested (it tested OK). Put it back in and then horsed around checking the battery and wire connections, etc. All OK, so I re-installed the battery and removed the alternator again to have it re-tested, warm this time. A-Ha!!! It failed on third repeat test. Lifetime warranty on this replacement gets me another re-built alternator at no charge (no pun intended). Installed it last night. SO FAR SO GOOD. New one is working great (SO FAR).

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.

· Sho'n Off
127 Posts
Now you know that with anything electronic you want to almost always get it new and not get a remanufactured product. I found that out too. oh yeah, be careful of the reman'ed water pumps too :hy:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.