Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, first post. need some help with truck suspension. sorry, i'm cross-posting with the suspension maintenanc forum.

i recently replaced the front upper control arm on a '99 ranger (2WD). The upper ball joint was busted and felt loose so i bought a new control arm from a ford dealer and swapped it out. The loose feeling is gone but now i'm getting a squeeking and metallic noises when the suspension moves around enough. it seems to be coming from the new upper control arm bushings and is loud enough that i can hear it while it's driving. it'll also show up if i grab the wheel and tug it back and forth.

can the bushings be causing this? would this happen if i overtightened the bolts or didn't align everything properly?

the only other thing i might've screwed up (that i can think of) is jacking the car up by the lower shock mount. can that damage it?

·
Hi-Tech *******
1,486 Posts
Get a doctor/mechanic stethoscope and crawl under the vehicle while an assistant works the wheel for you. It could be a frozen tie rod end or lower ball joint.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts