Ford Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

I'm looking for a extremly high torque motor, to suit a 5 tonne truck. And I know that generly the longer stroke the better. but the clevo has a really short stroke so i was wondering if a 351 stroker would be good, and if so what dollars are we talking and how much power...

Thanks,

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
or maybe just get a rebuilt 400- they have 4" stroke, and are relatively cheap as they werent built as a 'hi performance' motor- the 4" stroke will build a ton of lowend torque even in stock form...as long as you dont intend on racing the truck : )

·
Registered
101 Posts
I hope you own an oil well - there is a pretty good reason that most trucks these days are runnning Diesel engines - mountains of torque at low engine speeds and far better fuel economy. Ford do a few good motors - check out the latest F-Series for their Powerstroke Diesel's.

·
Registered
3 Posts
460 ford can be stroked to 557 but a 533 side loads pistons less dont try stroking 351c there a lot of hoops to jump through to make it last!

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
What about a 351 Windsor stroked to 416 - there is one for sale in these forums for 6K...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Hey

At the moment I’m running an International 392 V8 in a 1975 International truck. And she’s on her last legs, being a 60's motor, and the reco 392's come into some larger numbers in Australia. And clevos and as cheap as dirt but I’ve heard that they can't handle the low down torque needed for truck use. And big blocks are sort after and therefore the dollar signs come out, and I could just get a reco 392.

Yeah a diesel would be better, but I get 4kms to the litre with the old 392 which isn’t bad seeing I use it to carry furniture.

Thanks for the help guys,

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
bigjim-
can you get a 400M shortblock in australia? Here they are really cheap, see the link up in post 4- you could use 'local' heads and build a torque monster with long rods, small rod angles, etc- should outlast any stroker, for less money than a 429/460.
for a car they are too wide for many, and really aint made to run 'race' RPM, but for a truck motor that wont ever see 5000 rpm, it would be hard to beat here- no idea if you could order a rebuild over there or not, shipping from US might be pricey- unless perhaps a us builder is making normal shipments to Au. Good luck- Tim

·
Registered
81 Posts
After you've done the conversion,I'd be interested in the
old 392. If you want to sell it.

·
SBR Supporter
1,926 Posts
Turbo diesel V8 all the way. If you wanna start with an older engine, a 460 would probably be the better bet. I like the new 7.3 Powerstroke turbo diesel V8 in the F250s, 200hp 505ftlbs out of the box. Apparantly, you can gain 200hp on that motor from injectors alone.......

As for the 400M, yes it is available here.

http://www.suburbanimports.com.au often sell them. Frankly, I'm not a fan of the 351M or 400M, especially the 400M. 4.000" x 4.000" doesn't look nice to me. Some people regard that as "perfect" because the bore/stroke ratio is 1:1, but thats meaningless.

·
Old Ford Fan
340 Posts
I'm a big fan of oversquare engines, the 429 being my favorite, but I think rodlength:stroke ratio plays more important role(again 429 wins-very close to 426 hemi Chrysler), heres a link to a site with lots of info on all makes: http://users.erols.com/srweiss/tablersn.htm

The 400 is not a powerhouse by any means-(I've had one) but it is very well suited to truck use, usually for less cost than a 429/460(in the US anyway).
The stroke of the 400 means it wont live at high rpm, but makes gobs of torque...the slightly smaller size should mean a bit better mileage at highway speeds too.
see the link/stuff below to see how close the 2v 400(only way it came) was to a 4v 460...torques pretty darn close- imagine if a aftermarket 4v manifold/small carb were installed, the 400 would make more torque than the 460 (at low rpm anyway- where a truck needs it).

http://home.earthlink.net/~bubbaf250/history/history05.html :

<<<The next year (1972), when SAE net power measurements were used, the difference between the power output of the 400 and 460 was even narrower: 172 hp @ 4000 rpm (400) vs. 200 hp @ 4400 rpm (460).

Comparing maximum torque figures for 1972 (SAE net) shows even more dramatically how close the two engines’ power output was: 298 ft lb @ 2200 rpm (400) vs. 342 ft lb @ 2800 rpm (460). At its torque peak, the 400 produces almost 90% of the peak torque of the 460, and it does it at less than 80% of the 460’s engine speed.

The 1972 comparison is a little more fair because the 460’s compression was dropped. Now we’re comparing a 400 with 9.2:1 compression to a 460 with 9.3:1 compression. Don’t forget, though, we’re still comparing a 400 with a 2V carburetor to a 460 with a 4V carburetor.>>>

low rpm truck motors need stroke- the 400 is longest offered by ford, and they produced them for a lot of years...not a good performance motor, but still an excellent truck motor.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts