Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi y'all,

I have a 92 Ford Ranger, 4.0L V-6 w/ A/C, however it doesn't work.

Here is what I *do* know at this point.

The fuse for the A/C compressor etc is OK (a 10 amp fuse at that), the A/C on/off button, a part of the fan blower switch lights up it's requisite LED indicator but what I don't get is definate cooling.

Observations of note, no bubble viewer to indicate freon is flowing through the system so no way to know if there is even any freon of note in the system. Compressor does not seem to cycle off or on, the clutch does not rotate at all and no clicking sound of the clutch engaging. Electric connections seem fine although I think some kind of solinoid mounted just below the evaporator canister may be a suspect but do not know how to test.

So my question is, is since the compressor isn't cycling off or on, does this mean it's shot or is this also an indicator of low or non existing freon? or can just the clutch itself be replaced or do I have to replace the entire compressor and coil assembly and have the whole system recharged, which, btw, uses R-12 freon. Can it convert over without any mods to 134-A?

I'd like to try and get this system functioning before the really hot weather comes along. This will be the second vehicle I've owned that had a non functioning A/C and I'd like to get this one running if at all possible this summer.

Thanks!

·
wasnt me
281 Posts
most likely an empty system, you'll have to get some gauges to see if theres any pressure in it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
390wagon said:
most likely an empty system, you'll have to get some gauges to see if theres any pressure in it.
That's what I'm hoping it is, just empty of coolant and a simple recharge and check for leakage is all that is required.

Hopefully this system being from 1992 will require little or no mods to accept 134-A instead of the old R-12 freon it came with new.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts