Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
100% Speeding (when safe)
471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you think about this?

Now i think having undercover traffic police cars is a bit of a dodgy revenue exersize in it self. A marked cop car will make people behave, one you cant see wont.

What I am suggesting may seem a bit crazy, but there is a law that says "if you feel you are saving yourself from harm you CAN break the law"

Now, there has been cases where women especially have been abducted by supposedly undercover police cars that have pulled them over for :"speeding" or some kind of random check.(there have been such cases!) Obviously these cars were not police cars but people pretending to be (even dressed as them with badges!), with police red and blue lights on their cars.

So what I am saying is that if a undercover XR8 or SS or Magna or Camry or Daewoo Lanos or old VL, whatever it is puts on its lights to pull you over, i suggest you continue on your journey until a marked police car joins the pursuit. Then you stop. You do not know who they are, and so are "saving yourself from possible harm". Taking it futher, in the dark on country roads, i suggest not pulling over for any police, even marked cars untill you get to the nearest town. Then therefore you are safer and not at the merci of whoever it is, police or not.

This will then, if everybody did as such, force an end to undercover traffic police cars.

What do you think?!!

I personally would love to try it, just to laugh at them for 50km to the nearest town!! or until a marked car joined in :-D!!

You just have to genuinely have the thinking that something "could" happen!
Imagine the media coverage you'd get! What a laugh! And when everybody joins in these actions, the end of undercover traffic police will be near!

·
Yes, fords still kick
668 Posts
Sounds interesting, but would it stand up in court? I wouldn't really want extra fines and stuff for evading police. If it could be guaranteed that I wouldn't pay more in a fine I may consider it, but I think it would be a good way to get the 'whole' treatment from the police when you were finally pulled over.

·
Lord of the RC
2,515 Posts
It kind of makes sense, but then they may think you are trying to run form them and lay even more charges against you, so it may end up worse off for you.

·
Drives like a Grandad
112 Posts
Sensational idea. Don't pull over for the boys in blue when they are trying to intercept you. Has merit.

"Wait." "What's that up ahead?

"What the ...k!"

"STINGERS!"

"Why are all my tyres flat and my mag wheel rims all buckled?"

"Handcuffs?" "But officer..."

"Who is going to pay for all the damage to my car?"

"Impounding it?" "But... But..."

Nah. On second thoughts I might just pull over.

·
Registered
458 Posts
ED Manual said:
Now i think having undercover traffic police cars is a bit of a dodgy revenue exersize in it self. A marked cop car will make people behave, one you cant see wont.

You cant be serious :AAHHH:

A marked car will make people behave, but an unmarked car will catch all the dickheads who misbehave when they believe that there are no cops around.
I'm no fan of the revenue gathering that takes place on the roads, but to have no unmarked cars is ludicrous.

And I wouldn't advise, refusing to pull over for an unmarked car either, if your concerned on the legitimacy of a police vehicle, keep your doors locked, windows up & call the emergency number & confirm that it is a police vehicle (and have a steering wheel lock within reach :pow: incase its not the cops)

·
Ford Appreciation Society
3,666 Posts
Fireman Sam said:
And I wouldn't advise, refusing to pull over for an unmarked car either, if your concerned on the legitimacy of a police vehicle, keep your doors locked, windows up & call the emergency number & confirm that it is a police vehicle (and have a steering wheel lock within reach :pow: incase its not the cops)

If a cop is off duty, they can still pull you over. Has happened round here, and they do the paperwork later on. I'd do what Fireman Sam suggests...

·
Banned
421 Posts
funny you mention it because ive done it before!

leaving Parramatta leagues club late one night, i was driving (at the speed limit) through the back of Parramatta, when a magna pulled behind me and started flashing its high beams, with a little red led on the windscreen. Being in a dodgy place at the time, by myself, and in a new xr6 i decided not to stop and kept driving (at the limit) ignoring the magna behind. anyway after approx. 5 minutes a marked car overtook the magna and i pulled over. They simply asked me why i didnt stop, i explained that i wasnt stopping in some dodgy backstreet for a magna. Anyway the uniformed guys agreed with me (it was about 3am in the morning) but told me in future if i had concrens, i should drive to the nearest police station. They gave me a breath test and let me go on my way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Given that being "in fear of my life" can be used in court when explaining why you used martial arts skills to beat the crap out of a low life, you could possibly extend this argument to unidentified persons and vehicles.

Not sure if I would recommend it unless you had exactly the right circumstances and were doing no wrong.

I do agree that normal road patrols should not generally be performed by undercover cars, leave them for serious crime efforts and park marked cars everywhere else.
Even cardboard cut-outs like the QLD cops used a few years ago.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
You currently have the right to NOT pull over for an unmarked car. However, you should meet some minimum requirements if you do so. The foremost is that if you choose not to you should call 000 or 112 and advise the emergency services operator of the situation. Then clearly explain that you intend to pull over where you feel you are safe. You should also ask for confirmation that the following vehicle is indeed a Police vehicle.

When I was in the States in December a local news article ran this scenario after a woman did exactly the above, and the 911 operator advised it was NOT a Police car. When she pulled over the real Police nabbed the guy.

From memory, a similar thing happened last year here in Australia????

·
i pity tha fool
1,040 Posts
Fireman Sam said:
You cant be serious :AAHHH:

A marked car will make people behave, but an unmarked car will catch all the dickheads who misbehave when they believe that there are no cops around.
while i wouldnt call myself a dickhead, the above is true.

jamie+wetroads+v8+lsd+big serve of right foot+oppylock = woopwoop+blue flashinglight+vycommodore+care lessdriving fine.

luckily in WA here the only unmarked cop cars are brand spankers commodores really. i wouldnt pull over for much else.

·
EA Falcon owner
1,242 Posts
you do know that insome states it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. in which case you will have to pull over anyway to call the cops to see if youve been pulled over by and unmarked car.

but i would just pull over anyway.

if your car gets stolen then you get a replacement car, you just have to hope that if it isnt the cops that they wont bash the living beejesus out of you before they flog your car.

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
FordLover said:
if your car gets stolen then you get a replacement car, you just have to hope that if it isnt the cops that they wont bash the living beejesus out of you before they flog your car.
Or worse if your a chick . . .

I know my gf and her brother have been followed at night by an unmarked car through a remote area, for about 15 mins, before they flashed h/l and pulled them over. The coppers then spent 5 mins before they got out of the car and approached gf's car. Understandably, my gf and friends were freaking out, and wondering whether to drive on etc. Pretty ordinary behaviour by the cops really.

Personally, unless I was really worried, I'd just pull over. There's no real reason to antagonise them, they're doing a job, and on the whole, I'd rather have some unmarked cars to pull the dickheads you see driving around (how many times have you seen something and wished there had been a cop there to catch them ? )

·
I want my brothers car.
258 Posts
i love that idea....next time an umarked car tries to pull me over i will simply call 000 and have then run some sort of check on the car behind me....then i can legally piss them off. drive real slow circles around the block, until i find out.

·
XR82GO
1,539 Posts
Anytime i get pulled over by a unmarked car in a remote area (eg: no street lights) I always get out of the car and lean upagainst the back of the car. Licence in hand and my keys stashed in the car some where. At least that way you don't get in shit off the coppers for not stopping. And if it is dodgy you can at least defend your self a little.
Just don't get cheeky with them if your out of the car. They are obviously a little more defensive when your out of the car.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
FordLover said:
you do know that insome states it is illegal to use a mobile phone while driving. in which case you will have to pull over anyway to call the cops to see if youve been pulled over by and unmarked car.
What if you have a hands free kit? You can still call the cops legally if you have the hands free!

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
I cannot believe what rubbish I am reading
If you know it's a police car you HAVE to pull over, you dont have the right not to pull over. If you are (a) stupid enough to not pull over and then (b) stupid enough to say you knew it was a police car and didn't pull over then you will get what you deserve.
If you really think it warrants it, drive to the nearest police station.

I am in awe of some of the mis information being written.

·
boosted sleeper
4,560 Posts
I think the situation is based on pulling over if you DONT KNOW if its a cop of not. 8 out of 10 times it will be a cop but, they are talking about what to do "if" your not so sure and your in a known dangerous area.

·
Registered
5,316 Posts
ED Manual said:
Taking it futher, in the dark on country roads, i suggest not pulling over for any police, even marked cars untill you get to the nearest town.
this is a tiny snip. We all know that old commodores aren't used by police but the last time this happened it was some tool in a VK commodore ( less than 5 years ago ) that was doing this and yet people didn't smell a rat.

If you have any legitimate reason to think it's not a police car then I would recommend just heading to the nearest police station. If you are doiong it to be a smart arse then you will get more than you bargained for.
So far I have seen nothing but scenarios based around trying to 'beat the system'. I have seen people get pulled out of cars after a pursuit and it's not gentle. If you fail to pull over for a marked car it will be classed as that.
A bit of reality please.

·
Psychopathic 6cyl. Freak!
22 Posts
*mental note to self*

"When an undercover car tries to pull you over, kick up a gear, rev to maximum, and hit the NOS"

Thanks Guys; great advice! :driver:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts