Ford Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok peeps, I have a person here with a laundry list of problems. For starters, they have an 89 GT and:

1. When the clutch is depressed and the car is slowing or at an idle, the RPMs drop off and the car dies. It will start up again, and this problem seems to be intermittent. He can go for days without any problem, and then it will happen a bunch of times...

2. The car backfires. At crusing speeds, while slowing down, while accelerating, pretty much anytime after the car gets to operatign temps. I have my suspicions set on the timing belt as the car has 106K miles and it's doubtful to have been changed. Also the headgasket seems to be leaking, I don't know if this could contribute to the backfire problem or not.

This is all I have for now, but any help or suggestions would be welcome.

·
SVT Lightning Member
26 Posts
It could be the timing belt, but both problems could also be caused by a vacuum leak. It could occur in the intake manifold gasket, in anything which depends on manifold vacuum (such as the power brake booster), or even a loose fuel injector. Vacuum leaks are potentially serious, as a lean mixture burns hot, burning valves, spark plugs and pistons.
--
Jim

·
Grand Muckety Muck
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I finally got a chance to see the car the other day. Wow.

In all that I saw, it needed new;
Plug wires, plugs, cap and rotor, exhaust and intake manifold gaskets, belt tensioner pulley, timing belt(106K and it hadn't been changed).

I'm sure there's more, but that's all I could come up with on a quick once over. We'll see what happens next.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts