Ford Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Crown Victoria P71 Member
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the coarse of five years I have played with air ride and really miss having it on my CV. Currently the car runs the stock steel rims with 225-50-15s. The rims are more or less there because the car primarily sat since I purchased it over a year ago. But now with a new job that I no longer travel and what looks to be driving it everyday, I will need the air ride to bring it up off the ground to get over the speed bumps in the parking lot at work. So here is the plan. The standard 8 valves and switch box the minitrucks run. But I plan on using my A/C compressor to fill my tank. The only draw back to this is I will have to locate a small K&N filter then a oiler on the input side. This concept is not new and not my idea, it has been used by the 4x4 guys for years. The best compressors to use is off of the older style dodge line up. They used a York stand up compressor which has it's own oil resivoir in it's crank case. I have purchased one of these from the salvage yard for $15 but it is going on my chevy block. Using the stock compressor is alot easier to deal with and the wiring is straight forward. The wire from the A/C controller will be disconected and put to a toggle switch which will be inbetween the compressor and the pressure switch on the tank. Really the only thing that will be complicated in this whole ordeal will be making the bag brackets and relocating the front shocks. On another twist I have included the use of two pressure switches at each bag so I can have one for cruse hieght and one for full hieght. I designed my own switch box using a circuit board and other things. The box houses F-B-S-S-P and a bypass switch to lay frame. One thing that putting the pressure switches at each bag is this allows the system to auto level it's self when filling allowing me to not have to pay attention to the gauges and hope I don't over fill a bag. I hope to start this project soon after I put the engine and tranny back in the car and I plan on taking pics and specs along the way. If you know some one that has already put bags on thier car and have measured drawings for plates please post any info you have or I will be posting them when I do mine. Do to air flow designs I do not plan on purchasing the stock style bags, I will be going with the Firestone bags.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts