Ford Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok

Something I heard yesterday and was wondering if anyone else can clarify.

A class action against telstra's adsl link has been started because the service standard is well below standards and the speed specified in contracts are not being met.

???

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
Laminge, I haven't heard about it, but it wouldn't suprise me.

While I was managing an ISP for 3 years, Telstra did nothing but cause us trouble. They where and still are the worst company I have ever delt with.

·
Australian Falcon Member
663 Posts
jaytyn: Anything to keep their monopoly going, and anything to promote their internet services.. "Oh, Joe Blogg's company down the road can't ensure a reliable service to anyone.. But We Can!"

·
Banned
5,809 Posts
Haven't heard anything about it, but if there is a class action (which I wouldn't be surprised by at all) maybe they should include the 3Gb cap applied to the accounts as well.....

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
A few people i heard who have ADSL, say that it goes real slow at times and in some cases doesn't load at all for a few hours.

Well they better pull their socks up. I should think for $70 a month, the connection should be close to 100% reliable. Hmmmm looks like i'll stick to the good ol dialup until they solve it. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Ok, I can comment on this one!!! :D

We got ADSL installed back in Tweed, surprising it was even available. It took about 2 weeks between getting the hardware and everything at our end installed, to getting Tel$tra to "turn it on" at the local exchange. Fantastic start.. hmmph.

Since then, there has been outages ranging from several minutes to 3.5 days. There would be a weekly outage of at least 3 hours, and occured at no regular or predictable time. This was really impressive when it would die between the hours of 10am and 3pm while you'd be in desperate need to access a work server remotely... very very impressive.

Anyhow, I'm really not that impressed with the level of downtime that it has given us over the last 7 months, so now I'm back in Sydney, looks like cable is the go. I'd love Optus but they only install within 10m of the main street line! :( Doh!

Ah well.. rant is now over :D

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
An Uncle works for Telstra (ars#h*les), he's part of the future services development, its quite unbeleivable to hear what they can do now in terms of service (broadband) yet what they are providing isn't as stable as it should be for the company they are (size, money, etc). They have monitored opposition services and say that although they offer uncapped speed, their service can be very inconsistant comapred to Telstra.

I'm not here to defend Telstra, but I do think they provide a good consistant service, and they should, all the network architecture is theirs and they have so many resources that they can upgrade their networks whenever they want, yet they want to cap our download to 3gig, they are being a bunch of right pricks at the moment, but I can't see anything happening to them legally in this situation, afterall it is the contract saying that they can change the conditions of the service :rolleyes:

·
Future XR Owner
2,245 Posts
hmmm....just after I posted my last message in this thread my cable connection died and couldn't connect for 1/2 hour:fmad: :fmad:

·
Old Car:BA XR6 New: 97 EL
1,031 Posts
When I was manging that ISP, we ahd extreme difficulties in getting lines installed. We we faced with 4 - 6 month delays, and in the end we only got pair-gained lines. Not straight copper pairs.

I complained to Frank Blount (Ziggy Skitzo's predecessor) and within 2 weeks we had a 100pair copper cable from our server room straight to the exchange (no joins etc).

It apparently cost telstra around $25k to install this.

And 12 months later, Our ISP was brought out by another local ISP and my job was made redundant and so was telstras lovley 100pr cable ;)

Doesnt matter though, over the three years we paid telstra around $500,000

·
Read Only
1,395 Posts
Here I am sitting here, connected via the old modem when I could be on line thru a company in Ballarat called Neighbourhood Cable.
Why isn't the cable up and running? Apparently there's only one reason...Telstra. I've been waiting for soooo long. :(
If what I'm hearing is true,the whole of Ballarat is connected and ready to go but Telstra won't turn on a link from Mildura or something.:evil2:
What the reason could be, only Telstra knows. It's all supposedly in court at the moment.
Russell.:rolleyes:

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
It would not surprise me the reason they are behind that they have laid off most the techo's and trying to get contractors to do it at very low rates or don't like there quote/tender.Some times you cannot blame the guys that work there especially in the field,be some penpusher in an office somewere.There was talk that there was alot of optic fibre to replace existing wire,but never happened.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmmmm

Amazing what a little stir can do!!

My sppeds jumped 100% last night, nothing under 1meg in download times...

Still havent got a reply yet to the Big Boss:cool:

·
CEO - The BSR Group
4,400 Posts
Aussie Falcon said:
In defence of Telstra I have been a Telstra ADSL user now for many months and my connection has rarely dro
LOL!!! :D Oh yeah, how many times did that happen with my ADSL and ICQ? Got cable approved from Tel$tra, so getting closer to regular access again! My addiction here hasn't been eased, and dialup can't give me the fix I need :D

Another week or so and I should no longer be bandwidth impaired!

·
2,153 Posts
Telstra is having even more trouble according to:

http://slashdot.org/articles/01/07/22/0558207.shtml

Telstra BigPond Passwords Leaked
Posted by timothy on Sunday July 22, @02:53AM
from the change-yer-passwords dept.
Lord Cyric writes: "Telstra, DownUnder's biggest and baddest telco, has had a major security breach yesterday when a sample of its BigPond Internet password list was posted on various newsboards. The Australian Broadband Users Group (ABUG) has confirmed that this is not a hoax. This hack exposes the passwords for most of Telstra's Internet services (dialup, cable & ADSL). With all the bad press Telstra has been receiving lately over it's shoddy ADSL rollout and download caps, they certainly didn't need this ..." This site is not exactly the Telstra P.R. department.
http://www.ausbug.org/ is telling Telstra users to change their passwords.

http://whirlpool.net.au/ says it may have been a publicity stunt by a disgruntled Bigpond user.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts