Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
gday all
1st posing

i'm after some advice on buying my 1st v8. i've been a 4banger till now.
my friend's selling his 78 zh fairlane 500. It's in immaculate condition, fresh black paint, rebuilt 20,000kms ago, unleaded conversion, interior is awesome, has a $2000 sound system and top of the line sony dvd player etc etc. only a small 10c piece of rust on bonnet. 302C in great condition etc.

i'm wanting it for a cruising car, not planning on working the 302.

he's asking for $3500 without the dvd or $4500 with sound/dvd
what do u guys recommend??
just to stress, the car's immaculate.
thanks!

·
Registered
675 Posts
Sounds like a bargain, just watch for bogged up rust if its had recent paint and is starting to come though on the bonnet already
Use the fridge magnet trick is all I can suggest..

·
Registered
264 Posts
Black would look awesome on that car...
It sounds like the recommended value of the car, which is good... that is good if it is immaculate, as for rust.. I would look but personally it sounds like you are impressed by it, and if you can't see rust, and no one else car.. Does it really matter?

When it comes to rust in my opinion it can be fixed, if not, It's just a car and by the time the car is too rusty I'll just buy another one or I'll rebuild it... until then if you enjoy the car it makes no difference. Just like cleaning your bedroom, You stuff everything under your bed, You can't see it, you know it's there but you feel like your bedroom is clean, and everyone else Believes your bedroom is clean...

Gosh I can speak some crap some times....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hehe
thanks guys
yeah, my friend and i 1st spotted the car ages ago, that's when we show'd it to this other friend who's owned it since. so i've always wanted it.
i'm gonna get an RACQ inspection for peace of mind anyway.
thanks

·
Grumpy Old Fart
216 Posts
NO! - Don't buy it.

You will regret it.

It'll chew the juice.

Peo0ple will think you are a Ford idiot

Just tell me this guys address and phone number so I can give him a piece of my mind

Ian

ps I'm only kidding - take a risk, buy it!

·
Registered
540 Posts
Have a look at the engine chassis number first. If it starts with JG it is a broadmeadows car, however, if it starts with JH, it is a Brisbane car (H = Brisbane plant and G = Breadmeadows plant). All of the JH ZH's I have had where complete rust buckets. Another give away of a Brisbane car is that it is a 'Sportsman', that is, it has the twin chromed rear view mirrors, P/S, A/C and electric windows with a 4.9/C4/borg warner drive line.

If you can find a rust free one, then go for it as these ones came out with all of the options and are quite nice to drive. It should also have electronic ignition which is a real time saver over points.

Other typical failure areas are right hand rear disc brakes (rotors) cracking, squeaking (in other words rooted) front left hand spring saddle support and lower ball joints.

Hope all goes well and we see some photos.

Paul

·
Proudly Average
1,305 Posts
I paid a fair bit more than that for my Marquis. Go for it - an excellent car

·
Registered
145 Posts
I paid $1015 for my '79 ZH

160,000'ks, 302, C10, Lsd, A/C, P/S, Turquoise colour, Aqua trim (perfect Condition), Tiny Rust (on drivers quarter pannel).

just recently had to replace the C10 as the car had been sitting there in a garage for like 3yrs so most of the seals were gone...

Black looks sweet in Zh's saw one a while ago with no Vinal roof. Looked mean as..

·
Registered
80 Posts
Friends of mine have a ZH Fairlane Marquis- 302/C4/Borg Warner LSD. One of the most comfortable cars ive ever driven, but yes, rust can and does take hold of them, so be on the look out for it! Otherwise, go for it!!!

·
in his big ZH
131 Posts
Well, its been a while now mkerr, did you get it? How has it gone? Any pic? I just paid 2600 for my marquis, beutiful car, basically no rust but no sound system! I hope to install one and have it hidden so my car still looks the dinosour I love.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Let me know how you go with the stereo install, I want to do the same thing, 'cause I'm getting sick of just listening to AM!

I was thinking that a cd/tuner head unit could be hidden in the glovebox or in the slot under the glovebox

Do you know if it would be possible to do this and still keep my original radio installed and operational? It currently uses a single speaker on top the dash if that helps

OH yeah and did you get that ZH mkerr?

·
in his big ZH
131 Posts
well there is a bit of space for speakers. I was thinking, that spot in the dash, the vents either side of the front feet (left one is bloked off anyway, was that to do with vehicles being fitted with air con, both my 500 and my marquis dont have a left one) and I am happy to have speakers on the backshelf (mainly because I can just construct a replacement shelf so I still have the original in the garage... wouldn't dream of chopping up the original) A small sub in the boot would help, a bit of sound reinforcement, but no unce unce music for me, pink floyd, led zep, now thats cruising music.

·
Grumpy Old Fart
216 Posts
I have a head unit in the normal place of the radio. 6X9 speakers in the back parcel shelf and splits at the front - speakers in behind the footwells and the small tweeters fit on the dash just beside the A pillar. I didn't want speakers in the doors. It needs a sub woofer but hey, I just lower the window down and listen to the tune from the dual exhauts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts