Ford Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in Tasmania and until now I have never realised how hard it is to get things done when one is trying to modify ones car.
I was looking at a supercharger but have found no one in Tassie that can install and then maintain the car in modified form. There is a strong chance that the T series is getting 265+ kws in the next couple of months via a stroked version of the windsor.
I am thinking this might be a better way for me to go and give the service centre a chance to maintain it. Does anyone know how much a stroker kit would be to be installed on the mainland and who would be the best to do it

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
You can get 265Kw+ without needing to stroke it, even 300kw isnt all that hard :)

M

·
0 Posts
HSE2 - are you an Autospeed member? If you are, do a search on their page for XR8, and you'll come across an article of an EL2XR8 with mods aplenty, and accordingly, grunt. The article is called "XRlent XR8". Anyway, here's what he's done :
* 2 1/4" dual exhaust, hi flow cats + mufflers
* aluminium GT40 heads, ported
* Crane roller rockers
* Crane valve springs
* FMS (SVO) cam
* 24lb injectors
* 70mm FMS MAF
* 70mm Edelbrock throttle body
* GT40 intake manifold (with spacer) - same as on EL GT
* Cobra clutch plate
* B&M rippershifter
* 3.7 diff ratio
* EL GT brakes front end, DBA's rear
* Full Pedders kit with camber adjust.
* 17" AJR's, polished

With all this, he's getting 183kW at the wheels, so assuming the Tickford figure of 35% loss for the manual, this would put it at over 280kW at the flywheel. It is claimed to be able to do a low to mid 13sec 1/4. It is also the car I want mine to become ;-)

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
Use those parts above but swap these instead will get you about 425Hp apparently :-D

Airflow Research Heads 185 58cc Chambers, Comp Cams Extreme 282 and Trickflow Series Intake.

Oh and use 2.5inch exhaust aswell.

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
35% drivetrain loss for a manual seems a bit high, maybe that much for an Auto?

P

·
0 Posts
Checkout Mustangs and Fast Fords U.S mag monthly.Last month efi 5 Ltr 440 hp Geesss Std bottom end too.

P

·
0 Posts
Now the bad news it costs about $5big ones.Then labour.But if you keep it it's worth it 220 plus kw..

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
I wouldnt go over 450Hp on a stock block EFI 5.0L, as they start to flex and blow headgaskets. If you want serious HP get a 351 Windsor stroker :-D (it will bolt right in and most of the 302W parts will fit it)

P

·
0 Posts
Thought of buying a second hand gt40 302,any year import and getting them to do the 330 or 427 stroker conversion ? Just a thought.A351 would require hump on bonnet& tight around inner guard wouldn't it ?,any body done this conversion?A 5.7`[351]with alloy heads and roller conversion from 5 Ltr would do just fine.The 330 is a strong stroker for the oil ring is away from gudgeon pin.The 347 with long rods the pin is inside oil ring.Could buy a crate motor and get some one local yo fit it,Just a thought.You can buy alloy heads with provision for o ring too.

S

·
0 Posts
Any 1994 roller 351w and a 351w Lightning lower manifold is all you need to start. Dont know if i was talking to any of you on Sunday but Kon and I had been talking bout this in email. Raised bonnet was an issue unless you lowered the engine mounts a inch or so. If you were using a 351w lightning engine it would have GT upper manifold and they sit pretty low compared to the Cobra ones. 351w lightnings also run MAP, not MAF. Either the U.S. conversion kit could be used or your stock 302 EFI parts I would try to use the factory 302 MAF stuff first. Lumpy cam, larger TB, MAF and a STRONG clutch, maybe a Tremac to handle it all. also a custom oil pan is required. Could use a oil pan from the U.S. made for the conversion but who can say if the steering rack is located in same place. Anyone could weld one up with time.

P

·
0 Posts
I don't ''think'' the 351 has a roller cam.The Cobra manifold just fits in a eb with 302 rubs on insulation,[maybe saging]no thermal spacer.But nothing that cannot be worked out.You would put new rollers[or followers] in a recon engine anyway.Crane have a retro kit for them.May have to drill and tap thread in valley for retention plate as in 302 if not roller.The 95 351 Cobra r has roller though.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts