Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in buying my first truck primarily to tow a 1979 Lund fishing boat I have recently purchased. I was born and raised a ford man and the Ranger seems like the perfect truck to haul this 14ft boat around to the area lakes in central Minnesota. Anyway, I was wondering if I could get any feedback from you Ranger Junkies out their before I begin my search for my Ranger. I want to buy a 4.0L 4x4 extended cab from 1998-2001. I just wanted some imput as to any major problems with these years when it comes to the motor, tranny (manual or automatic), or 4wd. If you would be kind enough to fill me in with anything you know I would greatly appreciate it. Please be as specific as possible and thanks again for any help.

·
Registered
214 Posts
No drivetrain problems really. Hopefully the tranny fluid was changed every 30k on a used on as per the book (doubtful) so that's the first thing I'd do. Manual tranny and transfer case fluids should be changed at 60k, coolant at 45k. They already come with a tranny cooler if it's an auto. For towing I'd recommend an auto because first gear in a stick Ranger ain't all that low. Ball joints can sometimes be short-lived. Watch for rust on the bottom seams of the doors and tailgate.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts