Ford Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The last time I looked at sunroofs was years ago and they had a lousy reputation for leaking and perishing seals, so I didn't get one.

Are they ok nowadays and if so what sort of price would you pay for reasonable quality one, and what should I look for in way of type of seals etc? I'm only looking at basic hatch type.

Also, anyone know how much strength they take out of roof, because the EA body already has a fair bit of flex in it?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
In my opinion, i would never get a sun roof. Even after seeing the ones fitted at Tickford. In the end they still have to cut the roof and theres another place for a leak.

But i know there are people out there that will view it differently. I've driven cars with sunroofs and must say they don't do anything for me.

Same for that matter as convertables, give me a coupe anyday. I like my tin top roof too much. :D :D

·
Registered
3,023 Posts
When we visited Tickford, Tony said that the structual strength actually increases slightly due to a sunroof....

But I agree with Gary, I dont see much point with a sunroof, other than with Pete's car, which is needed to help air-out his legendary farts ;):p

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
EF_Falcon_GuY said:

Same for that matter as convertables, give me a coupe anyday. I like my tin top roof too much. :D :D
Mate, where's your soul? Can't you see yourself flying down a coast road on a glorious sunny day with a beautiful woman in a full house Mustang convertible or, even better, a 60's Galaxie with one of those fold away roofs and about a milk crate of storage in a 3 acre boot, or a '57 Chev Bel-Air convertible, or a Triumph Stag convertible with a worked 4.4 Leyland, or a Shelby Cobra, or a Cord, or a ...... ****, I think I've just had an orgasm.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Hollinda (Ithink thats them) are very good sunroofs though not cheap. I think they start from about $300. I actually like sunroofs now after running an Audi with one and almost every car I work on now has one. Plus the fact that Dad owns a convertible has swayed me.:cool:

·
Not Fast Enough, Dammit!
302 Posts
Ive heard that the aftermarket sunroofs can cost anything up to $2000.
I Also heard from from the *gulp* HSV factory that the structual strength increases with there sunroofs...
So if they can improve the strength in the roof then I'm sure anyone else can.
On the topic of leaking, my Dad has had one for the last 5 years and it hasn't leaked yet

·
Crazed Cone Chaser
2,524 Posts
anyone know if there'd be any factory sunroofs for XF's floating around anywhere?

cheers

·
Registered
7,750 Posts
I have a sunroof fitted to my car. Never leaked. Controled by electronics anti jam and that sorta thing Tilt/slide.
I don't like the slide side. But the tilt is a great thing. I won't buy a car with just the slide option.
These sunroofs have a internal gutter that prevents water from coming into the interior if the seals fail.

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
If you're talking about fitting a factory style sliding sunroof, which when closed looks like there was no sunroof there at all, then go for your life. I'd love to find a factory sliding sunroof from an XY GT and fit it to my car in the long run, but I think the cost would be just too great to justify.

I'f you're talking about those cheap and nasty K-Mart performance clear glass pop-up ones that became so popular during the 80's, where just about every cheap lamo wanna-be street machiner hacked up their ride to install, I'd advise against it.

If I've ever gone to look at car for sale and it's had one of those I've walked away immediately. I mean if the owner is stupid enough to hack up the original body work of their car with such a crappy addition, then how many other stupid things have they done to the same car? Most people I know serious about restoring/modifying cars share the same view, as it's just a huge effort and expense to try and remove it and fill in the hole again, to the point where it's not worth trying...

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
XYFalcon said:
If you're talking about fitting a factory style sliding sunroof, which when closed looks like there was no sunroof there at all, then go for your life. I'd love to find a factory sliding sunroof from an XY GT and fit it to my car in the long run, but I think the cost would be just too great to justify.

I'f you're talking about those cheap and nasty K-Mart performance clear glass pop-up ones that became so popular during the 80's, where just about every cheap lamo wanna-be street machiner hacked up their ride to install, I'd advise against it....
The internal sliders cost way too much, especially relative to the car's value. I've seen some that sit on rails on the top that aren't too bad and look like they'd seal ok, and they might be a candidate if they do.

I agree entirely with what you say about the '80's crap, which is what I had in mind when I was referring to leaks and perishing. The things weren't used during winter and the perspx lid welded to the seal and damage it the first time they were pulled up in summer. Plus a lot of the fittings were crap, partly because fitters and DIYers cut holes that weren't flat all around. I remember there was a bit of an industry welding panels back in roofs.

I've heard that there is improved rubber and glass that doesn't have these problems, but I was told that by a couple of fitters and they're hardly likely to talk their product down.

Actually, if you want to have close to a cabrio, there were a couple of large vinyl foldbacks in the '70's and 80's that went right back to the back seat. They were brands with names something like Silverado and Webasto, and I think the Webasto were fitted to BMW and that level of Euro car. Not a candidate for my car, but I've been in cars with them and it's like a convertible, which I like.

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
I just wanted to make sure that your were aware and had considered that cutting a hole in your roof is one of those modifications you can't easily or cheaply undo. And if the value of the car is low, then the cost of the repair would probably not be justifiable and therefore render the modification as permanent.

Where you're talking about doing something like that you need to have a good long hard think about just how good an idea it is, and the resale value of the car down the track. Like I said most people who are serious about taking on a car as a project will just walk away when they see it.

That being said, it is your car and each to his own ;)

·
Australian Ford Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
XY Falcon

My problem is I really want a convertible but it's not practical for my needs or pocket, so a sunroof is a compromise, but like most compromises it's not all that attractive either.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
XYFalcon said:
I looked into factory style sunroofs about 10 years ago when I had my XY. To get an aftermarket mob such as Hollinda to do one was going to cost (start from) around $1500. The other thing I thought about at the time (big job, not recommended DIY) was to lop the turrett of and replace with one off a wreck that already had a sunroof. Didn't neccessarily have to be a Ford roof, I could of picked up a Volvo:eek: one for a few hundred bucks, but to graft it onto my car was going to cost at least a couple of grand so I didn't bother.
Most of the factory XY (and later) sunroofs tended to sag over time and also if filler was used in the roof it sometimes cracked as well.
I guess like most things, technology pays a major part. What was crappy 10 - 20 years ago is probably greatly improved.

·
ex-Ford owner
519 Posts
Thanks for that info Falchoon, I'll now rule that idea out completely. I think after driving a T-Top Corvette for the last 18 months I should just be happy to have some solid metal above my head :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts