Ford Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will taking the ribs out of my air box give any improvments?

I have been told that taking the ribs out stuffs the air flow up?

But i have also been told that it makes for some good power??

Has anyone tried it?

Good or bad?

·
Warning: Constant drifter
112 Posts
the only thing the ribs are their for is so that the piping can be flexed easily.

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Hmmm, he didn't mention anything about the piping, though he did mention the air box.
If you are talking about the air box itself, then no, it won't make a scrap of difference.
If you are talking about the piping, then yes, using a free-er flowing pipe may help.

Rick.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
I thought he meant inside the airbox smooth all the ribs out inside it, not worth the effort not enough change to flow, but yes the intake tube, and a bigger snorkle will, also a better high flowing re-usable filter (the filter does not restrict much air flow), but at least you can clean it the anytimne you want :0)

Jason

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have a ss induction and one of thoes pipes already but have been told that modding the air box helps a little.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
Maybe, maybe not, its a pain in the ass job to do as well, i started on my air box (i have an ef air box in my ea), but havent finished it, to much effort and I am worried about cracking the air box as I am just sort of bending and snapping them out.

If you are seriously going to do it, i would suggest using a heat blade maybe ;0)

Jason

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
SVO if u do it like franks, then blast it with some sorta flame thing, or heat gun thingy, it will make it heaps smoother.

I cant see how it would make it any worse, as the fins would cause a bit of turbulance as they are.
Dont think anyone will be able to give ya a definitive answer

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will try it and tell you all how it goes.
Maby i could start up a little money making thing???lol

·
Banned
3,104 Posts
I suggest the best one to do would be to replace the EL bellmouth with a non-tapered version so as to get the air from the centre of the box without restriction.....

·
Registered
203 Posts
Ive done the Airbox conversion and I must say Its really hard to say if it has helped or not, only a dyno might pick this up but realistically you would need a wind tunnel or something similar to simulate the air speed.
But taking the airfilter out I must admit felt a lot more responsive, until you get used to it and then you think feels normal again and you need to get more power out of it again lol......

Regards
Shane

·
Registered
847 Posts
Hey all, sorry a bit off topic but does anyone have a clue an what an EF lid would cost either new or from a wrecker as I noticed the one I have has a split on just about every corner (it was on a gas system so probably got a backfire through it at one stage). Back on topic, wouldnt the rigdes in the airbox be useful to swirl the air before it goes into the intake piping?

·
Village Idiot
2,526 Posts
I woulda thought it would slow it down a bit.
But it might 'break' it up so it combusts better??

I thought they were structual things. Mite have to look again

·
On the 7th God Made Ford
98 Posts
Id get the bigger piping and piss the ribbing off cause it makes the air turbulent - Keep the original box and cut a new hole to use your pod filter with the bigger piping in the box.

If your chasing killowatts its crucial to get this bit right cause the difference isn't just throwing in a bigger pipe wiv big filter - Its the angles and bends that keep the air spiralling to the plenum hence the acoustically tuned EF cold air intake.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
6pAc|30nG|00n - cost me $45 for a EF airbox from a wreckers, so guess from there.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Sweet thanks for that Dellboy.

6pAc

1 - 18 of 18 Posts