Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yesterday i was fiddling around with my air filter and just decided to take the whole box and hose off and heard what it sounded like at high rpms, shit it sounded mean, my mates called it a 7 cylinder hehe

so i bought a cheap pod filter from supercheap and chucked it on the hose. it still sounds mean :D
but is there any advantage to be gained from this? should i reset the ECU?
set the pod up in a better place, because right now its just sorta rattling around where the air filter box used to be? or should i just scrap it and get one of these XH snorkels?

cheers, alex

·
eaten up da 4s
37 Posts
first of all wat kind of car do u have??
u dont gain much at all from doing it. just a slight increase in acceleration and better air intake as well as that more meaner sound of the air sucking in.
im not sure wat would happen if u reset the ecu.
sorry

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh yeh shit ay forgot to mention my car
its an EA falcon S multipoint. but u gotta love that meaner sound hehe, i found i get heaps more air, but u need to reset the ECU so the computer can readjust the fuel intake to match the now increased air intake?

ive heard that its beneficial for ur engine to reset the ECU after any minor mod like air filter or even changing spark plugs is done, there was a thread on it but ive lost it, if anyone knows the link if u could send it my way it would be greatly appreciated

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
You will actually be worse off with the pod filter in the engine bay as it draws hot engine bay heat.
Yes it may flow better than the standard setup, however it isn't difficult to make the standard setup flow more than enough for a 200kw+ engine anyway.
Cold air is very important and has more effect on power than volume of air.

Put your air box back in and grab an XH snorkel and it will flow more than enough for a standard engine.

Rick.

·
eaten up da 4s
37 Posts
i have an eb2 falcon. where is the ECU on it?
i have put on an XH snorkel and havent reset it.
should i have to reset it if i put da snorkel on. and where abouts is it???

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
all you will need to do is disconnect the battery for about 30mins. then the computer will be definitly reset.

wot the other guys said it rite, cold air is better than volume. you need to stop the hot engine air getting over the pod, and get cold air in.

I no that nudge has a K&N Panel filter, and doesnt have the XH Snorkel, and his car has exetreme loud induction noise, because he has drilled holes in air box lid, but on the sides of the lid, if you get wot i mean. i can hear his car coming from behind me, with all my windows up, and i do have quite a loud exhaust too...

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup ive just d/c my battery n im waiting 30 mins.

umm so ur saying the best bet is to het the XH snorkel or could could i get some piping so i could locate the pod lower down, perhaps near a xmember, that way i could get heaps of airflow and it would be colder also??

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
yeh drilling holes in the airbox would just increase air flow gtho_man,
my mate has a vp and he cut a huge hole in his airbox and it sounds meaner and he reckons better performance but i cant really say it made a difference coz i dont drive it ay

·
eaten up da 4s
37 Posts
dam dats pretty kool then i might do that with the air holes.
do u know how much a K&N panel filter would cost?
im also getting an XH ute air intake snorkel

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Don't drill any holes as that will just let hot air from the engine bay in. Just put the XH snorkel on.

Rick.

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so does anyone know if running some piping down towards the crossmembers with my pod will be beneficial at all?? my mate has some piping and im wondering if its worth giving it a dig or just getting the boring old xh snorkel :D

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i used to have a custom airbox that i made up, i had a 3" hole in the bottom part of the airbox, and a 3" stainless steel pipe that went for about another 3". connected to that i had brake duct hose, 90cm and that went all the way out to the front of the car.

it took me about 1 1/2 hours to get it fitted, as the s/s pipe was 3" and so was the brake duct hose.

i accidently pulled it off one day when changing the oil to get to the oil filter. i took it completely off, i couldnt believe how much air went up there, as i had a piece of unifilter on the inside of the airbox.. there was heeps of shit on the filter, so it must have done something. i am considering putting it on again, but i had this on before my car was lowered, and i came to grief a few times. so i will need to consider putting the piping somewhere else

i always carried my original a/b in the car, incase of an acco, and i would try and change it over if the car was taken away!!

have a look at my link, and there is a pic of my a/b setup

http://members.cardomain.com/dvs06

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
that sounds like a good setup OED666, so u ran the piping into the brake ducts did u say? does that mean u had to run the piping into the front left quarter panel or elsewhere? i cant really tell from the picture where the orange piping ran to, where was the s/s piping? k&n any better or was ur custom airbox beter?

im carrying my original airbox with me too :D not sure why? is that coz they can void ur insurance or because u just wana keep ur airbox haha

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
yea i am sure it will void insurance. i havent even told them my car is lowered, and is been lowered since April 03. oops

anyways back to the topic...

That s/s pipe was in the bottom of the airbox, the brake duct hose was connected to that, and on the otherside was the unifilter..

the hose went all the way out the front of the car, i will try and find a pic... looking now...... found them

you have too look pretty hard to see the pipe on the pic of the front of the car. but it was out the front of the car on the left hand side

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ohh yeh i can see it, and you used that with the normal air filter box?
couldnt you have gained a bit from running that s/s pipe straight into the throttle body with a bit of the unifilter on the end or maybe a bit of mesh or something like that instead of running it through the standard airbox? or am i just getting ahead of myself?
also, im not sure where the brake duct hose is! excuse my ignorance, but im not sure what ur sayingwhen you say the brake duct hoe runs off that cause i cant seem to see it in my engine bay! ahh

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i had to buy the brake duct hose, i had to feed it from the airbox, down the side bit, and under the the car, until it came out the front. i cant take anymore pics as its not setup any more

if you would like, i could put the hose back in place and take a few more pics

·
khellooo!!
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
yeh thatd be sweet if u could do that and its not too much trouble ay.
im thinking of making a set up very similar to urs now, and if i see the pics i could see all the piping and the s/s also

cheers mate

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i mite b able to take some pics soon like tonite.

check back later, i have to go to my gf's house now!!!

i have been TOLD!!!

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
i am back with some more pics,

sorry for the poor quality, it was getting dark when i took them...

i couldnt set it up properly cuz the car was too hot. but it should give you a better idea how it was setup

1 - 20 of 26 Posts