Ford Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
G'day peoples!! First time posting :) Got a question; I have an AU Forte, and I wanna change the steering wheel, the sun is damaging the top of it and it dont look real good :(. The problem is the airbag, can I change the wheel without too much drama, kinda thinking of putting in an EL XR8 wheel. No doubt the wheel will fit but is the airbag the same??? Any of your suggestions will be much appreciated. And to XLR8,( thats if you will read this!!) thanks for the tip on them door thingys the other day at the cruise, went and got them, put them on, very happy now!!

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
airbag

To remove the airbag you need to do this

1. Disconnect Battery. Wait about 5 mins (have a quick beer)
2. Pop plastic plugs out of side of steering wheel
3. Undo torx bit bolts through side of wheel (one each side)
4. Remove airbag and carefully unplug yellow plug and earth lead off back of bag.
5. Carefully sit airbag on passenger seat, face up.
6. Unplug stereo/cruise plug (small black plug)
7. Undo torx bolt that holds wheel on
8. Tap sides of wheels hard with fists to loosten wheel
9. Remove wheel

Installation opposite of reverse, obviously

There are special size torx screws that hold the airbag in. Im not too sure of the size, perhaps someone else here may know.

if you are changing the complete wheel and airbag, I'd go for one off the same model e.g. AU XR6 The airbag plugs ARE DIFFERENT and I wouldnt suggest changing wiring.

good luck

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
AU_guy said:
G'day peoples!! First time posting :) Got a question; I have an AU Forte, and I wanna change the steering wheel, the sun is damaging the top of it and it dont look real good :(. The problem is the airbag, can I change the wheel without too much drama, kinda thinking of putting in an EL XR8 wheel. No doubt the wheel will fit but is the airbag the same??? Any of your suggestions will be much appreciated. And to XLR8,( thats if you will read this!!) thanks for the tip on them door thingys the other day at the cruise, went and got them, put them on, very happy now!!

Good stuff. im sure it looks much better!!!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
There is a place www.cartoys.com.au that were advertising re-trimmed c/o steering wheels for airbag equipped cars for around $250, could be worth checking them out.:cool:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts