Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced the snorkel with some ducting.....

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A homemade trumpet thingy.... thanks to WhiteKnight.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
poking through the scratch plate.... i know its a bit rough.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the trumpet made the most difference... ive gotta figure out a way to make the pickup better at the end of the ducting... any suggestions ???

Its a little tight but i reckon i could have got bigger ducting down there... the trick is to keep it away from the pulley.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Mate

Looks like you have been getting you hands diry for a while on that project!

On My EB I removed the standard box and put in a VS Commondore air filter box, ran the same type of soop but through the wall above the tyre and had it pointing straight out in front to gain max cold air induction.

Dont have photos of it cause several weeks later i whacked a blower on!

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Just a quick (maybe very rough) thought... You said you wanted to make the pickup better at the end of your duct. Have you thought of modifying the original snorkel and fitting it upside down on the scratch plate??

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
awww bloody hell.... dont you hate it when something is staring you right in the face and you just dont see it...... thanks for that Jase... i'll give it a go.

·
Shh i'm huntin more power
1,764 Posts
Let me know how you go mate. It'll be interesting to see how it all fits with clearance to the ground and everything...

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
eb_5litre,

Good to see your doin handy work with your induction. Just wondering how do you cut a nice circle hole in the airbox?

Let us know how you go with the upside down tube idea.

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I didnt cut a hole in the airbox... just poked the ducting through the existing one and sealed it.

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
Ahh righto i get ya, well IMO the stock air snorkel of the EB's aren't real big in the outlet, your probably better of with the pipe ducting setup and attach a bigger outlet of somesort.

By the way, have you painted other stuff around the car? I haven't yet cause i'm not real good with paint. :( :(

I was thinking to do the mirrors.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Just a thought (dont want to sound negative) you might want to consider how close the intake is to the ground. Could be in trouble if you come across any water ie. big puddles or floods. You can probably imagine the vacuum or suck that your elephant trunk will generate.
Water doesnt compress and I've seen the result in XH six cylinders with a gut full of water (after the last floods in sydney) Conrods shaped like bananas!!!

Dont want to spoil your performance increase but BE AWARE

Just trying to help:thumbup:

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mbrown42 said:
Just a thought (dont want to sound negative) you might want to consider how close the intake is to the ground. Could be in trouble if you come across any water ie. big puddles or floods. You can probably imagine the vacuum or suck that your elephant trunk will generate.
Water doesnt compress and I've seen the result in XH six cylinders with a gut full of water (after the last floods in sydney) Conrods shaped like bananas!!!

Dont want to spoil your performance increase but BE AWARE

Just trying to help:thumbup:

Thanks mbrown42.. yeah i realised that when i did it, i just gotta stay away from big puddles...
I tried to solve that problem a little yesterday.. I made a scoop to go on the bottom.. kinda looks like a dustpan. I'm yet to see if it sits too low on the car.. guess i'll find out when i leave it behind on a speedbump.
On the performance side.. I only took it for a quick spin and it definately felt like it had a quicker and smoother pickup... all i need now is a good filter.

·
Owner Of Tommy Turbo
272 Posts
I was thinking the same thing about puddles and stuff. maybe you could take an inch off the pipe then face it pointing slightly backwards. this shouldnt effect incoming air flow either cause it will be protected by the lower plastic shroud. im trying desperately to come up with something similar to this for my car. all ive done so far is fit an EL XR intake on my EB with K&N. considered putting hole in opposite side of cleaner box and running a pipe down into the fenderwell SOMEHOW.......s#*t, i gotta headache, lol.

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Gee, of all the things I see here the most concern is for the fact I see you are using silicon to seal the intake. Do you know what that does to Oxygen Sensors? :eek: :rolleyes: :eek: :eek:

·
Chromed Member
1,810 Posts
DONT KILL O2 SENSOR

Use stuff called ULTRA COPPER, buy it from most parts shops. Doesnt harm the sensors and use it just like silastic. Cool copper color too (daaa)

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
Re: DONT KILL O2 SENSOR

botch said:
Use stuff called ULTRA COPPER, buy it from most parts shops. Doesnt harm the sensors and use it just like silastic. Cool copper color too (daaa)
I don't think Ultra Copper will do the job in this case. What is required is a sealant free of silicon compounds.

For those that have asked, any Si molecules that pass over the O2 sensor cause the sensor to lose its ability to sense oxygen. The result is one dud sensor. It takes an extremely small amount to cause this and things like sealing up a headlight can do the same thing!

I wonder how much the O2 sensor/s are for an EL 5.0 litre......?????

·
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Re: DONT KILL O2 SENSOR

Aussie Pete said:

I don't think Ultra Copper will do the job in this case. What is required is a sealant free of silicon compounds.

For those that have asked, any Si molecules that pass over the O2 sensor cause the sensor to lose its ability to sense oxygen. The result is one dud sensor. It takes an extremely small amount to cause this and things like sealing up a headlight can do the same thing!

I wonder how much the O2 sensor/s are for an EL 5.0 litre......?????
Thanks Pete I had no idea.... I'll look around for a different sealant.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts