Ford Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've got a problem with the fan in my EF. When I turn the AC on, it will only blow cold air when it's in the off position, or the "Boost" (If I put it to anything else, it works for maybe 10 seconds then shuts off). My mechanic said it's a common problem with the fan speed resistor. He said to pull it out and get all the crap out of there to fix it. I pulled it out over the weekend, and couldn't see any leaves or anything in there. I tried sticking the vaccum cleaner in there, but it's a pretty small hole. To test whether it worked or not, I had the resistor sitting outside of where it;s supposed to, and the problem still occured. In the process of pulling out the resistor, I snapped it where one of the screws holds it n, so I am going to replace it. Would replacing it also solve my fan issues? If not, does anyone know what else could be causing my fan to shut off

·
Lamahs approve of manuals
1,382 Posts
It sounds like a reasonable suggestion ( the resistor ).
Although it could be something else electronic in there that's overheating and shutting everything down. By the sounds of it tho, it is something to do with the speed reduction circuitry (i.e. boost is flat chat, 1,2 & 3 are "reduced" or limited speeds).
Replace the resistor as suggested, and see how things go. If you've still got a problem, I'd be checking the electonics of the control system more closely. Depending on your electronic experience, it might be time to visit Ford or an auto electrician...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts