Ford Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
I have my own brand of alarm of sorts. 3 x sirens, 1 external, 2 internal, and a surprise for Mr Burglar when he sits down.
Enough said.:D

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Your right Doc

A decent size skid mark on the drivers seat will deter anyone from sitting down..

Thats what you are talkin about, arnt you?????

:rolleyes:

·
Officially Bored with 347
3,584 Posts
Heh Heh Heh good one mate lol
Does anyone know if there has been a ford stolen with "Smartlock" fitted
thanx
Brett

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I question the effectivness of an alarm. I understand that we all want to keep our cars from being stolen or burgled but who really responds to an alarm? If I was walking down the street and I saw some guy (or girl) at a car and the alarm was going off I wouldn't stop, for two reasons. One, it could be the owner forgetting to turn the alarm off or two the theif/burgler could knife/shoot/bash me. Or if I was lucky enough to overpower the person they can turn around and charge me with assault or sue me. If you went to the cops and told them an alarm was going off they would most likely ignore you or turn up 3 hours after the event. IMO alarms only deter amateur crims, if somebody REALLY wants your car they'll work out a way past the most sophisticated alarm/immobiliser that money can buy. A flashing light on the dash and some no name alarm stickers from Dick Smith is probably the best value for money deterrent.
At the Summenats a couple of years ago I heard about a guy that had a GT Falcon (XA I think) that had an alarm, immobiliser, club lock and he parked near security guards and the car was stolen in broad daylight without anyone seeing or hearing a thing.

·
I want a turtle!
2,635 Posts
Hi,

If you want a good alarm, have a look at a Quik track.. They are a bit pricey (about $1500 - $1800) but you get you car monitored 24*7. If your alarm goes off, you get a phone call straight away.

Although... if a professional car thief really wants your car - there is no stopping them. A friend of mine had another brand alarm with the 24*7 tracking. He went into his garage one morning to find the alarm on the floor (neatly placed on the ground the same way it would have been in the car), his club lock in 2 peices next to it.

Needless to say he never saw that car again.

·
BSR
2,279 Posts
I have pyhton ESP1000 on my AU XR8. It doesnt use the factory remote, instead it uses a four button remote that replaces it and the alarm is fully programable from the remote.......o yeah and has a great snake in the window....Hey Nipper!!

·
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog
7,777 Posts
XR8chic said:
If you want a good alarm, have a look at a Quik track.. They are a bit pricey (about $1500 - $1800) but you get you car monitored 24*7. If your alarm goes off, you get a phone call straight away........
I knew this would come up. QuikTrak is useless and is overpriced. It also has severe shortcomings related to its installation that allows thieves to overcome it with ease.

How do I know this? I was one of the very first customers for this technology. I raised some concerns to QuikTrak and they dismissed them saying you can't be guaranteed of protection (despite the marketing guy at the time saying the opposite). What I said eventually came to pass and I almost lost my car when thieves bypassed the QuikTrak system but failed to realise a second immobiliser system had been installed by me.

Give QuikTrak a wide berth and save your money.

As for alarms - useless yes. However, you can't beat the Ford Smartshield system for the AU series. Plug and play with no stuffing around for around $450-500 fitted. That's the way I'm going.

·
7,777 Posts
Oh forgot to mention this about QuikTrak.

They came to a meeting of the HDT/HSV Club to do a follow up sales, customer presentation. The guy was almost heckled out from all the customers in the room who told him what we thought of the system. False alarms, locking problems, no phone calls on theft attempts, incorrect car identifications, flat batteries etc. And then they continually ask you to pay for upgrades to overcome their design problems. CRAP STUFF PEOPLE!

·
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Aussie Pete said:
As for alarms - useless yes. However, you can't beat the Ford Smartshield system for the AU series. Plug and play with no stuffing around for around $450-500 fitted. That's the way I'm going.

Is that the SENTRY alarm? I thought smartshield is the name of the standard Falcon immobiliser?

·
T5 Expert Operator
6,540 Posts
IF i ever get an alarm, i would go for the Ford one as i know i'd be 1005 comaptable with the smart shield, and it's integrated with the stock remote.

·
7,777 Posts
Aussie Falcon said:
Is that the SENTRY alarm? I thought smartshield is the name of the standard Falcon immobiliser?
No - Sentry was another option. The Ford one is factory and I think it is called Smartshield because it is integrated with the rest of the security system. The Sentry one was only $50 cheaper or so. My car is getting the alarm fitted by City Ford Sydney.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts