Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Mulberry Rain
1,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
leads me to wonder what people do in regards to security?

For example, with those old cars - how many of you add an alarm systems/immobilisers/aftermarket central locking?

What about the new cars?

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
not a common thing but my grand pa has a BUDDYLOCK in his ZL fairlane. i would have to say the BEST security you could get. cost about $400 plus installation.
in short the gearbox is removed and bolts are screwed through (from underneath the car) into the buddylock which sits beside your gear shift making it almost impossible to remove without an angle grinder and about a half hour of cutting as it it ultra hardend steel. when in park the buddylock engages around the shifter itself and locks into place, like having a big arse padlock around your gearshifter. even if they get into your car it still aint goin any where!

·
do YOU have rubber?
2,357 Posts
My car wont start so I don't have to worry about security :p

Seriously, I have a club lock but never use it. My VK I protected with an alarm and lock however.

·
Registered
5,083 Posts
I'm gonna chuck a kill switch in when I get around to it, right now there's nothing though.

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
ill see what i can find out from pa. dad actually won it in a thats life magazine!

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
Aussie Falcon said:
I did a search on google on buddy lock and didn't get results I was expecting :AAHHH: , so davway do you have any more info on this?

yeah i see what you mean! lol

·
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane
3,293 Posts
looked through the site abitand mainly found the locks were for newer cars. if you wanted to fit to an older car then contact them as they do have locks to fit everything. i noticed a whole new range as well....oh check out the FAQ section.

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
davway said:
not a common thing but my grand pa has a BUDDYLOCK in his ZL fairlane. i would have to say the BEST security you could get. cost about $400 plus installation.
in short the gearbox is removed and bolts are screwed through (from underneath the car) into the buddylock which sits beside your gear shift making it almost impossible to remove without an angle grinder and about a half hour of cutting as it it ultra hardend steel. when in park the buddylock engages around the shifter itself and locks into place, like having a big arse padlock around your gearshifter. even if they get into your car it still aint goin any where!
haha thats the greatest theft prevention ive heard yet lol. where can i get one!

·
Gassed Up
168 Posts
good alarm/immobiliser, club lock ( used both on the steering wheel and thieves heads!) and awareness. Always be wary of where you park, in what area, how well its lit up, check it as often as you can, hide stuff in view, don't make your car stand out, that kind of stuff. And if your really worried take the lead off from your dizzy to your coil when u park and carry it with you . May sound like overkill but if it helps keep your car where you left it.......

·
300+rwkw DC LTD Member
1,622 Posts
If you have anything over 7 years old or any modified car an aftermarket alarm is the only way to go. Also with a club lock and kill switch.

Sure there is that saying that if a theif wants it he'll take it but make it hard for him.

If ya don't have an alarm, wht are you wasting your time locking the doors for?

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
haha...lol, the lead on the dizzy is a good one! would never of thought of that... my cars just got smartlock... how hard is it to break into this???

·
Happy lil Vegemite
188 Posts
XY351 said:
take the lead off from your dizzy to your coil when u park and carry it with you . May sound like overkill but if it helps keep your car where you left it.......
I used this method often with a v8 HQ prem i had about 20yrs ago and it actually payed off one night. Car was parked in near the Sports and Entertainment centre. Pricks got in and tried to start it but couldnt so i only lost half a dozen cassettes and some loose change.

·
Falcontastic.
6,039 Posts
When I used to park my XW at school(which worried me alot) I used to take out the distributor rotor plus I had an Kill switch on it, but now I have an elec ignition.

·
Registered
177 Posts
yeah as soon as i get off my lazy arse i've planned two kill switches
one for starter motor and one for coil
and no
I havent figured out how to do it yet....

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
when i had my xd i had a few little tricks.... modified teh ignition barrel, and coloumn wiring, and had a start button (like the gt) mounter under the dash, and the key done absolutly noything, when it moved to start... i also when goin to chapel took the coil lead out

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
what do i have for security i have nothing n the reason being if they wanna steal a 1,000 under car they will,and its just like a 60,000 car,if they want it bad enough they will get it..

i use a club lock,never leave my car for long periods and always park around populated areas..

1 - 20 of 52 Posts