Ford Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am after some opinions on my situation...

I'll just give you a run down on where things started. In less than I week I am driving off to QLD! Basically I took my car in for a service and safety-check expecting a total bill of about $100. I knew it wouldn't happen like that, so I put aside $300. Well as it turns out, there were a few things needed doing to the car...
:fraz: Brake pads all round
:fraz: Front rotors
:fraz: Front tyres
(Also some other things that aren't too urgent)

Basically what I did was chased up the parts myself - including slotted rotors for the front. I could get the rotors (DBA) for under $100 each, Bendix Ultimate pads for the front - $80, rear Bendix Advance pads - $40. In comparisson, the prices I was quoted from my mechanic were as follows: DBA front slotted rotors - $120 each, Bendix Ultimate pads for the front - $130 and Bendix Advance pads for the rear - about $80. As you can tell, I would have saved a fair bit and my mechanic was mostly surprised about my prices!

In the end he said he could get me the same parts for the about the same price. So why not?

I also supplied my own oil when I got a minor service...

Now, should I feel bad because they probably mark-up their price to make a profit and hence living? I mean, the mechanic(s) are top blokes and don't look like they are totally stooging me, but without sounding greedy, it's my money and I really need it for my trip.

By the way, the total cost is coming close to $1000. $700 of which is spending money, so now I am gonna be in debt :( I'm only young and if I hadn't already paid for the accomodation I wouldn't be going.

Believe me, I want to be able to do this stuff myself so I don't get in these situations and have to pay for labour.

So, am I doing the wrong thing?

Oh, and one more thing: I KNOW I SHOULD HAVE F*@CKEN FLOWN UP!!!!!

·
AU Falcon Convert
120 Posts
No, like you say, it's your money, if you can do better then good on you.

·
Whats traction?
2,197 Posts
He'll still be making money on that, the labour should be where they make their money. If he misses out on inflating the price for one customer then too bad.

·
Faster than Zyrtec
2,105 Posts
Hey mate, you know that the mechanic gets trade prices right? You know that they would be making about 30-40% on those parts ?

I just got a set of bendix premium for $60 for the tx5 - actually the tx5 needed its major service, and my brother is an ex mechanic with trade card, looking at the receipt from the automotive store that I go to, it would have come to about $160-$170 and I got everythign for $105.

Key to the story - find a mate who has a trade card.

·
gone
10,402 Posts
Please

There is no need to feel sorry for your local mechanic, remeber mate, look after number One, yourself, cause no one else will.

Have a good holiday and a safe drive

BTW Virgin flights for $99.00 would have been cheaper!

·
We Love Greb Murpy
3,022 Posts
laminge said:
BTW Virgin flights for $99.00 would have been cheaper!
No way near as fun though ;)

I'm driving up on the 27th, so hopefully traffic won't be too bad :fraz:

·
Often has bolts left over
848 Posts
You should learn how to do these things yourself, they require very few tools or knowledge. hell you can even put new tyres on the rims, it is a pain in the arse to do though.

·
cruzing somewhere
28 Posts
why even get the mechanic to change the pads and discs and the oil. its not that hard if u learn to do these simple things and more on ur own car. it will be better because if something goes wrong u know what to do and dont believe every thing a mechanic says to u about ur car.

·
YES its a 5 Speed!!
2,242 Posts
damn thats one helluva awesome avartar minge!!! howd u get it!?! :hy:

·
{';'}
4,345 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Cheers fellas! Makes me feel a lot better, now the mechanic will more than likely jack up the price of labour and prolly add on other shit... Ahh well. Next on the purchase list is a workshop manual and I am going to begin learning lots of things :D Thanks again :thup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts