Ford Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Another 2.5L Pinging engine
I have a 99 ford ranger 2.5L with 95k miles that pings, it doesn't matter if its cold or hot. I have dealt and researched this problem for over two years and have just about given up. She runs great since i replaced all these parts however the ping is always there. Have replaced just about every part related to the ping. Here is what i have replaced and done so far;

1. Spark plugs and wires
2. fuel pump and filter followed by checking pressure
3. checked timing
4. EGR system replaced that includes DFPE and pipe.
5. checked compression, 175-182
6. checked valves
7. both o2 sensors replaced
8. MAF, tried two different brands
9. TPS sensor
10. IAT sensor
11. Tried several cans of seafoam through the intake
12. Checked and rechecked All vacuum lines and hoses. Also checked pressure.
13. Air filter
14. PCM
15. Brought the truck to two different dealers, both shrugged their shoulders then raped me. They both basically said to run high mileage oil and high octane gas.

Here is what i haven't done along with why I haven't;

1. Fuel injectors= I haven't replaced the injectors because she runs and idles like brand new. Purrs like a kitten

2. Cleaned carbon deposits= It pings no matter if its cold or hot.

3. Ignition coils= Checked by dealer and falls out of the range of any TSB

·
Super Moderator
19,169 Posts
Why don't you try running higher octane gas for a while and see if it cures the fault ? You probably read this suggestion I came across ,

Re: 2.5L pinging

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I found a great way to reduce the pinging. On the passenger side upper firewall the ignition module is installed. The wire loom comes out and in plain sight is a grey chip plugged into the wire harness. This plug advances your timing 2 degrees. (some people call it an octane bar). Take that chip out. You will get no drivability issues, and no CEL. Pinging will go away, or be greatly reduced. I took mine out and run 89 octane and she is happy now."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why don't you try running higher octane gas for a while and see if it cures the fault ? You probably read this suggestion I came across ,

Re: 2.5L pinging

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

" I found a great way to reduce the pinging. On the passenger side upper firewall the ignition module is installed. The wire loom comes out and in plain sight is a grey chip plugged into the wire harness. This plug advances your timing 2 degrees. (some people call it an octane bar). Take that chip out. You will get no drivability issues, and no CEL. Pinging will go away, or be greatly reduced. I took mine out and run 89 octane and she is happy now."

Thats all i run through it since it started pinging, 93 octane and it still pings just not as bad. I think Ive read about this octane chip and I don't think my truck has it. However checking into it, will post results.

·
Administrator
8,170 Posts
I had the same exact problem with a 2001 Ford Taurus. Never pinged until my wife put premium fuel in it and from then on I had pinging problems.

Finally I took it to Ford and one tech knew exactly what it was. He had to put a programmer on it and reset the computer back to 87 octane.

Might be worth looking into.

If you let one ping bad enough, for long enough, its been known to damage the piston ringlands and cause pitting of the piston crown .

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Worth a try if it applies .Timing is definitely spot on and not slightly advanced ?
The octane adjustment bar aka spout connector is for vehicles with the older distributor system. The timing is perfect Logan, right at ten unless i rev it up a little then it will advance to twenty or thirty. Ive worked in auto shops did the mechanic thing for awhile and never had a problem i couldn't solve till I bought this ranger. I'm stomped, two years of constant researching, talking with mechanics, even swallowed my pride and brought it to not one but two different dealers...lol, Still pinging..mind blown

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No leaks from PCV valve or hoses , plug gaps o.k ?
After all these years just found out the problem was from a bad fan clutch. Even though it seemed to work and the temps stayed within the "normal range" it was still causing the head to get hot which caused pinging.

·
Super Moderator
19,169 Posts
Glad you got to the root of the problem .Wouldn't have thought of that with normal temp reading ,you live and learn .Thank you for updating the forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts