Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As far as I can see , we dont have a section for posting interesting cars , reviews or videos of non Fords etc . I've just been posting in The Pub . Maybe car enthusiast would like to see other cars now and then from abroad ?

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
I'd be interested, I have an unnatural love affair with autos, particularly older ones. We also have an 04 Grand Prix GTP that I occasionally sneak up on with my tool box, but my wife catches me before I can modify anything.

I find that having an automobile for a mistress rather than a woman during your midlife crisis is better, since an auto will never leave lipstick on your collar or panties in your glove box and most women are repelled by the smell of gasoline.

·
canuck
2,493 Posts
Showcare my old (inherited) Peugeot 607? I didn't keep it long enough....

but good idea nonetheless.

·
Administrator
8,183 Posts
I don't have a problem with that. Where should we place it and what should it be called? It needs to be somewhere below our Older Ford category.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
How about "Out of the Ordinary"? We've got a truck show coming up late September and you'll find everything from really old chain driven Macks to military jet carriers, and anything else old that may have helped in the work force.

·
Administrator
8,183 Posts
ah I see. I would have never figured that one out on my own. TY

I think we should have Non-Ford Section in a red section bar between Older Fords & The Garage - Tech Forums, with a couple sub forums such as news, chat and photos?? Sound good?

I'd like to get everyone's input that is interested.

·
Super Moderator
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of my mates had until recently an older Nissan 300 zx . Great car that was only taken out at weekends and weather permitting . The new Nissan GT-R is a fantastic car and most of the Far Eastern car manufacturers take a lot of beating nowadays .Remember in the 70's working in a Honda dealership when the Civic first arrived over here .Then we called them tin boxes , Jap crap . Changed days now .

·
Subaru/Ford guy.
1,273 Posts
The UK gets the better cars, and I say this for season of>.

You guys have the Nissan Skyline, and the USA doesn't. I've always been told it has been banned because it made too much HP for the amount of smog it made, but IDK for sure.

All I know is, there are a very few guys who own one in the US. I'm friends with one, but he's the first one I've seen in a couple of years that gets driven on the streets.

·
Subaru/Ford guy.
1,273 Posts
I'll admit they need to put out less smog, but the US is just being picky, that car is built with the same body safety as some old US cars, such as, strong firewall, built to transfer the front or back hit down the sides of the body instead of into the center of the car.

It's too good looking to say no, you just can't have em, even with a different motor put in.

·
Super Moderator
19,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You seem to have more problems with emissions than us Europeans . Crash testing standards have also got a lot stricter , good thing for safety .

U.S. vehicle CO2 emissions still almost double Europe and Japan .

JATO’s study of the U.S. light vehicle market in the first quarter of 2010 reveals that the market’s average CO2 output is 268.5 g/km. In order to reflect like-for-like comparison with car markets in other global regions, excluding pick-up trucks, full size vans and small commercial vehicles, the figure falls to 255.6 g/km. This figure compares very unfavorably to Japan (130.8 g/km) and Europe’s five biggest markets, which average 140.3 g/km.

All markets improved marginally when compared to the full-year average in 2009 with Japan’s CO2 output down 0.4 g/km, the USA down 1.0 g/km and Europe improving most significantly with a 4.3 g/km reduction in the year-to-date.

“It is still clear that American consumers need to undergo a fundamental re-think of their vehicle buying preferences, but the past period of economic upheaval is likely to have meant that other domestic issues have taken consumer’s priority”, says David Mitchell, President of JATO Americas. “The blame can’t just lie with consumers though, the OEM product offering in the US still does little to promote alternatives to the large engine capacity gasoline vehicles which still dominate the market.”

·
Subaru/Ford guy.
1,273 Posts
Wow, I guess if ya look at those numbers, it's not too hard to imagine.

Some people still roll around in the 70's, 80's, and 90 trucks which had almost no standard when made.

But I think with American's it comes down to, we want our power, not to say power can't come from a electric motor, in-fact it far exceeds a gas motor in torque, but the batteries are expensive, and plugging your car into a socket just hasn't become a reality for Americans yet.

I don't think smog problems will go away any time soon, but electric cars might be the way to go, if the charging source and batteries could be more cost efficient, and everything.

·
Super Moderator
7,742 Posts
2 major problems with electricity:
1) Portability. You can't fill a tank with electricity in under 5 minutes. It's usually hours.
2) Chemical hazards. The environmental impact of the batteries far outweigh anything a petrol burner can due. If you short them, they will burn and at a higher temperature than gasoline.

And there's a minor irony that makes me giggle when a tree hugger tells me they're saving the planet: The US still has a large amount of coal plants, the electricity has to come from someplace.

Hybrids make a world of sense around town, but until technology advances drastically, the dinosaur is still the king of the road.

I actually expect them to work the bugs out of hydrogen burners long before the battery is able to make a challenge for the king of the road.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts