Ford Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive noticed my clevo XF gets a lot of heat under the bonnet and it can only be sucking in hot air unless on a very cold night.
Has anyone done a Cold air intake on their carby V8? I dont want to attract attention with a bonet scoop.
Can an adapter be bought for a 4bbl carb to attach a pipe onto it to redirect air?
Would it be worth adapting a EF or later air box and running a tube to the carby with cold air coming from the bumper?

Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot,
Dan

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cant be out of the bonnet, police dont like 351's in the hands of P platers. Maybe when im 21 ill put a shaker on.

·
BA'o'Matic 100% working.
3,838 Posts
You have a carby, so your BIG problem, will be that you WILL have to have wire mesh at the carby to contain flames that may came back up the carby, so if youwent EFI remote box keep that in mind, will save you a defect.

Jason

·
RIP Sox.....
2,580 Posts
Use the standard type metal dinner plate air filter and adapt the plastic tubing which I6 XF's use which fits behind the battery.
I used this for years on a 351 XD, and it worked very well.

Rick.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Always had the same problem until recently, used to get drastic improvements on a cold night and shit poor performance on a hot day. Looked into the XF I6 system myself but subtle differences between XD and XF made it seem more trouble than it was worth. Pretty sure you will also need the plastic wrap that goes around the battery to make it seal properly. Also thought that the overall size would have been restrictive for a 351...

I got around the problem with a Hornet scoop with base removed so it is low AND legal. Used a K&N filter top and now the outside air dumps right on top of filter.

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What do you mean not ford?

The bonnet scoop/ shaker would be the easiest and most effective option but i really dont want to risk getting caught.

thanks for the advice and keep the ideas coming.

Dan

·
Can't wait for Winton...
2,759 Posts
How about a set-up like you often see on Brock Commodores, basically a sheet under the air cleaner and around the back, leading out to the front edge of the bonnet.

I think not ford means duct air from the plenum into your intake.

Or run a large duct from the intake of your standard air cleaner housing to a source of cold air.

·
Two SC 61's = trouble
6,360 Posts
If you have original aircleaner.Get another one and unscrew or drill out spot welds etc to take steel inlet duct off and cut same sized hole in your original but on other side so you have two inlet snorkles.Just attach some tube to the ends then forward to behind headlights etc... D.J used this method on his XD..

·
Banned
1,344 Posts
they sell the above set up in fibreglass at the speedshop near me, with 2 3inch inlets for ducting. it wraps around a 14inch filter.

·
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe
1,290 Posts
how will they know its a 51? no diff b/w an 02 and 51.......
shaker, shaker shaker....
if not, are you on lpg or petrol? and factory air cleaner?.. if you go the factory one, get a bendy pipe a bit bigger than the intake on the a/cleaner, and then run it to somewhere that it will get cold air, ive seen the bottom corners on the bar cut with the pipes in them..... works well......

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ITs not that madwog, its more the fact that there is a V8 in the XF, Its running on petrol and not engineered making it not cop friendly.
I dont want to get defected till i have a 6 cylinder to whack my turbo on.

Thanks for your help guys

·
But wait ... theres MORE!
442 Posts
I used to have two of those shiny flexable pipes attached under the front bumper on my xd up to the aircleaner. Used some plumbing supply stuff to attach it all and it could barely be seen from the front as I painted it black.
Cost about 30 bucks and an 2 hours to make.
Was it any good? Dont know but it 'felt' ok.

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
DansEdgli said:
its more the fact that there is a V8 in the XF, Its running on petrol and not engineered making it not cop friendly.
some simple words of advice
GET LEGAL!!! & if that means having to sell a car that shouldn't legally be on the road SO BE IT!
For those others that are having similar issues with under bonnet heat on carbied V8's take a look at late model Mustang (just before the EFI motored ones)air filter assemblies. That's the exact ones that EBXR8240 was talking about that DJR used to use. If yer after pics of what they look like ask & I'll post up a pic....

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Pics of 5.0l H.O. Air filter assembly (In this case off 82 Mustang GT)

·
Australian ED XR6 Member
569 Posts
Be aware that they do have another flexible hose coupling on the other end as well. In the mustangs these are plumbed into ducting that's run inside of the front guards to the bottom of the front bumper assembly. With a little imagination I'm sure that you'd be able to use something like this.
As for where to find them in Aus, I'm not tooo sure though I shouldn't imagine that with the magic of the internet it really would not be that difficult.
I dare say that if there was a market for enough of them, they could be easily sourced & sent directly from the U.S.

·
Chasing 500rwkw
3,176 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for that pic, it helps a lot. Looks like I will be getting creative this week. ill try to knock something like that up.
Anyone know where I could get a stock air intake assembly, I could use that as a beginning? There isnt any at the wreckers near me.

Thanks guys
Dan

1 - 20 of 21 Posts